1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cab setup for metal??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mat666, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    Hi

I need help with experienced bassist here.

I have a handmade 6er tuned F# to G with lane poor soapbars and aguilar obp3. the amp is a LMII

I have a mesa 1000 (4x10s + 1x15) wich I love but I want something lighter and smaller without compromising low-end.

I play mostly technical metal but as a bassist I'm required to gig with different bands and styles.

Is anyone as suggestion please as I want to keep the LMII unless I go for a markbass combo!!

thx

2. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    IME, you need tens for metal to cover the crunchy mids. I'm a bit old school, and find an 8x10 rig to be the medicine for whatever. I'd say go with no less than a 4x10, but others will suggest different.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 and, the cab you've got rocks. Lighter, smaller cabs generally mean less ooomph anyway.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have the Mesa Powerhouse 610, and have A/B'd it against the Mesa 1000, and thought it spanked the 1000... I played a gig recently where the opener's bassist had the 1000, and for a quick changeover, he agreed to play my cab instead of his - afterwards, he said he liked the 610 much better than his 410/115 Mesa 1000...

- georgestrings

5. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    thx a lot guys

any comparison with cabs like berg, epi, schroeder, etc..

6. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Hey Mat,
    I'm currently in a similar band. Tomorrow we will be playing at Berklee Guitar Night and I'll be using my Markbass F1 with my Accgroove Tri112L and a borrowed Accugroove Tri115L. In my opinion, this is an absolutely killer sounding rig, so it's worth checking out if you can.
    Chris

7. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Update: Just played Guitar Night at Berklee, and the rig absolutely killed!!!! Wow! So loud and defined! I'm overwhelmed at how good it sounded.