Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab setup question for gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jan 10, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hello folks,

Setup:
    Hartke 3500 head (the head has a direct out)
    Hartke TP410 cab
    Hartke TP115 cab

Right now, our band is playing medium sized bars/night-clubs...we've made the jump from the small places. To date, we've never run the bass out of the PA system...the PA was used only for the rest of the band because I've got plenty of power in my stack.

However, as we play slightly larger venues, the volume is going up. I still have enough power to fill the room...however, stage noise is becoming an issue. My cabs are normally positioned at the back of the stage, beside the drummer. Standing directly in front of my cabs getting my hair blown back gives me wet dreams, is tolerated by the drummer, but for some reason (LOL) the singer and lead guitarist on my side of the stage are having trouble with my bass volume competing with the monitors. No matter where I place my cabs at the back of the stage, someone who is singing is interfered with. What to do?

I've thought about running some of the bass out the PA mains so that my stack isn't the only thing delivering power, thereby reducing stage noise. Problem is that it taxes the PA resources, already being used to its limits by the entire Vdrum set, as well as guitars and vocals. I own miles of heavy duty speaker cord...I have thought of splitting my cabs, placing them by the front corners of the stage (beside or under the PA mains). I could run a little bass into the PA, enough to hear on the monitors, or going direct-out from my head into my little practice amp for a monitor.

We rent our PA, and I don't have the opportunity to play with the system much before the next gig, other than at soundcheck. I'd like to have a decent set-up game plan before the next gig. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Problems you see with splitting my cabs?

Thanks!

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well seems silly that you feel you'd "tax" the PA when everyone else is using it so that THEY don't have to crank to fill the room. You should do the same.

If that means you need to rent more/bigger PA, well that's what you have to do.

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What kind of Subs are you renting with your PA?
    Can you rent an extra set of Subs?

We typically use 4 Subs (1x18s) for large clubs or outdoor gigs, 2 Subs for medium clubs and 1 Sub for Small clubs, while only using 2 Peavey SP-2s (1x15 + Horn) for the Mid/Highs.
    Low frequencies tend to eat up power and require more Speaker Cone area for larger rooms.

4. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    If the system you're using is working fine for the VDrums, you shouldn't have a problem with the bass. On the other hand, if you really don't want the bass in the mains, your idea of using your cabs for the house and your practice amp for monitor purposes should work provided the practice amp is loud enough for you.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The drummer should have his own mixer sending only a stereo mix to the main mixer. That should free up some inputs on the main mixer!

**Oh wait, you said V-Drums? OK, it's already just a stereo mix. Or it should be! How many channels is the mixer? Probably need to get a mixer with more channels.