Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, May 10, 2005.

1. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I've done a search and skimmed through quite a few threads but more specific fresh input would be appreciate. At any rate, doesn't hurt to duplicate some stuff periodically and hopefully there will be useful comment not duplicated already.

Brief scenario: I sold a used GK 1x15 cab known to be in good working condition that the recepient claims has a frozen speaker with no indication of shipping damage to packaging and externally cab looks fine - shipped snail USPS from NC to Ohio and insured for purchase value. Mailed him the original USPS verification since he had everything else needed to file the claim and I didn't.

The guy is reluctant to file a claim due to no apparent external damage but requests compensation. From what I can gather, USPS doesn't even test "whatever" for internal issues and just goes by packaging.

Any personal experience, suggestions, ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    It was insured. Tell him to file a claim; that's what insurance is for. Make sure you get copies of the claim in case he comes back and says the insurance wouldn't cover it. That way you can be sure everything's on the up-and-up.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's not your fault, if it worked when you shipped it, and it doesn't now, either he screwed it up or USPS dropped it on its face too hard.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

have a copy of insurance verification and sent him the original. I don't know for a fact that the cab doesn't work now - just his claim (another reason for him to file cause I don't have proof of a damaged cab). But as far as I know, it is possible for the coil to freeze in shipping so it may be damaged now for all I know.

The guys been a jerk from midshipment on so I anticipated problems before he even got it. To me if someone won't even file the claim it's a statement there's nothing wrong with the cab.

But I can be as irrational as anybody else so I requested input from other guys who've been on one end or the other - or both.

I've never had a shipping problem before and I've shipped lots of stuff - some worldwide. So it's new to me - fortunately.
  5. If it fell on its face pretty hard there wouldnt be much damage on the box and none on the cab, yet the speaker could have easily become dislodged, good call

Either that or the guys a dick and wants 2x1x15's
  6. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Same thing happened to me..I sold an Eden D115XLT on eBay in tip top working shape. When the guy got it, the speaker would rattle/buzz...He took it to a shop and sure enough, the magnet had seperated from the speaker basket due to a nice jolt during shipping. I packed that thing like a brick doo-doo house too...

Luckily, UPS's insurance paid the bill. Took them a while, but it was all fine in the end.
  7. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light. Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    OK, I know this is an old thread but, rather than start a new one...

I had a 15" cab shipped to me. The day it was supposed to arrive, I find out it was being re-boxed by FedEx because the box had damage and they didn't want to deliver as was.:eyebrow:
    It was insured for 500.00 bucks.

Well I went to them and picked it up. They had disposed of the old box and the speaker was upside down in the new box. I mentioned damage/scratches on the grill to the agent who tapped something into the hand scanner you sign for your stuff on.

Well, The speaker isn't "blown" it just doesn't move. Like it's frozen. :confused:
    Would this be caused by being face dropped during shipping or is this something that happens over time?
    Until I saw this thread, I assumed the seller sent a bad speaker.... and I told him so.:bag:
    The seller refunded me the cost of a replacement speaker with profuse apologies but, if it's carrier damage then he should get his money and the carrier should pay for the damage done in shipping, IMO.:cool:
    Any thoughts?
  8. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light. Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    FedEx coming Monday to inspect (hear) the cab. Since you can't "see" a blown or frozen speaker, they have to come here to hear it...
    Well see what happens.
  9. Get it looked at by a speaker tech - they can verify it was damaged with a hard knock - Fedex will pay for a new one.

This happened to me once. There wasn't much damage to the box either.