1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab shipping...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesrx, Jun 12, 2012.

1. bluesrx

bluesrx Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    I'm contemplating buying a used cab from Guitar Center and having it shipped to me. I have the option of having it either shipped to me or having it shipped to my local Guitar Center. I'm leaning on having it shipped to the store. My reasoning is that if there is any shipping damage it would be easier to prove. The store where the cab is located has assured me that the cab is fully functional with no issues. Just in case there are problems I feel it would be easier to prove that it came that way from the store.

Thoughts... experiences... ??

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Agree with you. I'd have it sent to the store, too.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Good idea. Bring along your amp and ax to test it before you take it home, so that if it doesn't work right they can't say you broke it after taking it home.

4. I'm thinking about ordering a cab from GC used as well. What are the shipping costs? I bought a bass that shipped free, but an effects pedal had a $10 shipping charge. Granted the bass was less than 100 miles away, the pedal was from Washington State (I live in Upstate NY).

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Bingo.

6. bluesrx

bluesrx Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    I live in Florida and the Guitar Center I'm thinking from ordering from is on the west coast. The quoted shipping cost is 28.35 via either UPS or FedEx Ground.

7. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    I haven't had a used cab shipped to me from GC, but I have had them ship me 2 heads and 3 basses in the past. I've had them shipped directly to me. I usually try to vet the equipment before I have it sent. I'll talk to the either the manager or if they have a decent bass guy in the shop I'll talk to him/her and have them give it a run through.

I recently had a head shipped to me and the tubes were blown. Rep told me it was fine when they shipped, but it wasn't. I brought it to my local GC with my receipt and shipping label. Repair would be covered but would take 3+ weeks. I just got a full refund. No problem.

There is a 30 day guarantee so you can try it out with your gear in your house. If shipping is the same to your house or shop, ship it to your house. If there is an obvious issue, bring it in sooner rather than later.

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Test it with one of their amps. That way if its wrong in such a way it blows up the amp, it isn't your amp.

9. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Shipping to the local store seems an obvious way to simplify things. That said, I've had GC ship quite a few used cabs and their shipping charges are usually silly cheap (far less than buying privately and shipping).

10. Good plan.

There was a guy not so long ago who had some a-hole GC ship him a mangled cab to his local store. It became his local store's problem and they gave him the refund on the spot. It could still be doing the ghost ship rounds.

11. I always have stuff shipped to my local store. You are right, any damages, flaws or things not right would be easier to prove while there. I don't live in a bad area or anything, however hate to have shipping boxes sit unattended outside my house until I get there as well.