1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cab shootout-GB, LDS, Hurtful

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lomo, Oct 19, 2013.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Had a little GTG this am with local TBer Kringle77 to sample some cabs and have beer after breakfast.

The cabs: GB Neox 212, LDS 15/5 spec'd by Kringle (both behind him in the crappy cell phone pic of Chris in my cave), GB Shuttle 2 112 and 210, LDS 15/6 (my baby) and Kringle's "Hurtful" 212.

The beers (for completeness, since this is all about science and rigorous technique and documentation:D): a bunch of Quebec micros: Belle Geule Blonde, St. Ambroise Scotch Ale, Le Castor (the beaver) IPA and regular Ale, Sleeman Cream Ale (OK so the last one isn't "micro"or QC).

We each have an SMax 9.2 and wanted to hear the cabs with our preferred settings, which are drastically different. Chris has some upper mid push, a little compression and adds a rackmount Sparkledrive. I used the FET channel with a push at 200 Hz, a little nudge in the lows as well, with no FX or comp.

Chris plays a Stambaugh Attitude clone and I play an Elrick Classic 5.

Not surprisingly:
    The LDS 15/6 has a low end booty unmatched by the others, no sparkle (no tweet) and mids as strong as you wanna add via eq. I am addicted to its' low end muscle, but Chris neither uses nor wants it.

The Hurtful 212 had the most muscular mids to my ear, decent lows and was very loud for its' small size.

The GB Shuttle cabs are very efficient, go a little lower than the Hurtful but don't hit quite as hard in the mids.

The LDS 15/5 is tuned higher and is very mid-focused. It didn't get as big down low as the Shuttles.

The Neox 212 was the most balanced to my ear. Lower and warmer than the hurtful but still with major punch in the mids, without the vast bottom of the 15/6.

After a couple of hours, Chris bought the Neox off me. The 15/6 remains my favorite cab ever.

The beer was great.......with the Castor IPA the consensus champion.

Attached Files:

2. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Nice review!

3. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks....the facts.....just the facts.....:p

It really drove home the obvious, namely that there's an enormous variability in what players want/like and that identical cabs cab produce vastly different results when fed differing signal chain......even through the same head!

4. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    That's a good assortment of beer and cabs. Well done! We probably don't have Castor IPA down here but St. Arnolds Oktoberfest is a favorite of mine. Two players with different styles and preferences probably makes the test more valid. The assessment of tones lines up like I thought they would. I wonder how the 15/5 would sound in a slightly larger enclosure (2.0 cu-ft) tuned to 50 Hz, maybe add back some lows for a more balanced sound but still punch? Also, the report on that NeoX 212 makes me want to try the new NX2-212T. Sounds like a fun time.

5. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The Neox 212s are getting mighty hard to find. For my taste, the 15/5 might be best on top of a cab that's tuned lower.....if one's willing to risk the carnage of mixing cabs:bag:

6. Looks like a good time! Good reviews as always Lomo!

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Oh, that Castor IPA was great in the A.M.! Lomo is right on with the comparisons. If I played a 5 string, I'd be reconsidering my outlook on have a cab like his great 15/6 that can put out the super low end. Every time I play that cab I always think "what if I....." I obviously prefer sealed cabs but, I ended up buying his 212t cab because it sounded great and really complimented my hurtful. I actually gigged last night with both cabs being pushed by my shuttlemax 12.2 and it really killed. The genz gave me a better low end than I normally have and the hurt punched in the middle.

I do find that no matter what you use for a cab, you just cant get that super firm, solid feel live unless you use multiple drivers. That is at any volume. I actually ran both cabs on the floor next to each other which I know is "wrong" but, it just killed. This is why people put up with the drawbacks of large cabs like the 8x10.

Lomo was a great host as always and his wife is one of the nicest people I've ever talked too. Glad to see his dog was feeling better. He seems to have very high end taste in treats. Can dogs be foodies? :smug:

8. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Lookin' fwd to the next GTG, Chris ! Maybe some of your chops will rub off on me:bag::p

9. You should have tried Alexander Keith's IPA from Nova Scotia. It's a beer you can get your taste buds around. :D

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I love pork chops! Just tried the 212t in my basement and yup, my basement is the worst sounding space in the world. Made the cab sound hollow and spread out. I didn't sound that way at lomo's and not at the gig last night. My basement is the anti-tone chamber. If it has cut and punch down there, it will KILL at a gig. The genz is a really LOUD cab and the mids are really awsome. Exactly my kind of mids. If a cab had the low mid punch of the nv610 with the mids and top of the genz, it would be my last cab. I really like the 212t.

11. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    BassmanPaul-I agree-Alexander Keith's IPA is superb (and readily available in Montreal), but we were sampling Quebec beers.........the maritime provinces will have to wait for another GTG :)

Chris-let's face it; your last cab will be the one you build or buy just before you buy the farm.....and that's cool.......'cause there's learning, enjoyment (and therefore benefit) in the quest itself!

12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thats all true with a big BUT. I can actually get the sound and feel I want without a problem. BUT, it requires me to haul way more cab/cabs than Im willing to move. Thats always the kicker. With the gigs drying up though, I don't think I'll have to worry about it. :meh:

13. 5StringPocket

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I'm curious, does the Berg CN212 tone fall somewhere between the Hurtful and the NeoX-212T and how would you compare them? It seems from what I've read that perhaps the CN212 has a bit more booty than a pair of 3012HO's but not quite as much mid presence or growl and that the mid character of the NeoX-212T is different from the CN212. Do you like it more?

14. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thats about right. The berg sits in the middle. It is actually the best ported cab that I've ever heard overall. The 212t has a better upper mid and treble for my tastes but the berg is thicker from 150hz to 600hz I'd say. Overpriced for sure but, if you like ported cabs, it's probably the best.

15. 5StringPocket

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Cool, thanks. If I can sell a couple things and invest in another 12" cab that's probably the one I'd go with.

16. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Which generation of the NEOX 212?

17. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The tolex one right before the name change to NX2.

18. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Thanks!

19. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    In all seriousness, if I didn't have to move a pa and run sound, I'd haul an nv610 and one or two nv115 cabs. That would cover it all. If I thought an nv425 would get that sound, I'd already have one but, the general consensus was that it wasn't really that.

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    That is one of the best posts I've read in a while. Bravo.

That said, we are also now beneficiaries of a lot of significant advances in bass amplification; which makes your comment all the more true. Many flavors of great around these days.