Cab Sims in Sequence

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Oct 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Tl;dr: do you use a separate auxiliary pedal board for cab sims, or do you just run an extra cable from your head's aux output back to the pedalboard? And for those of you running cab sim pedals without an XLR output, where does it go in the chain and how do you get it to FOH?

--

Details:

So for live use I picked up an AMT Chameleon. I used it on a gig for the first time last night and am really happy with how the sound came out in the room (we recorded the show).

Now I'm trying to figure out what is the least fiddly way to set it up. My normal setup is:

Malekko B:assmaster-->Xotic BB Bass-->Eventide H9-->Orange TB500. I hit the pre pretty hard and that's part of my sound.

Last night, I added: Orange TB500 efx send (so post-preamp)-->AMT Chameleon-->DI-->board.

I just had the pedal on the floor with a DI next to it, with a power supply.

I could also mount the pedal on my pedalboard, and run a long cable back up front, but then with the DI cable, this is getting to be a lot of cables on the floor.

And we don't always have a ton of time for setup and taping things down.

Seems like @JimmyM would have an opinion on this with his HPF/LPF setup, but maybe others do too.

Relatedly, can anyone recommend a small, passive DI that they like? I really just need something to covert the guitar-level signal to XLR.

I suppose the other option would be to see if I can approximate the tone of my Orange head and cab with the Sansamp VT bass (the BBDI doesn't work for me--too scooped) and then just run it in parallel from my board (less cables that way). But I'm not confident that the VTBass will sound anything like my head and cab.

Thoughts?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes, I do have an opinion. I run my LPF and HPF next to last in line on my pedalboard, just before my tuner, and I run all my pedals including them inline from bass to board to input. Nothing goes in any loops.

3. JES

JES Supporting Member

I knew you would! Thank you.

4. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    I do this :
    Pedalboard => OmniCabSim => amp's input => amp's DI (Pre) => FOH.

I could use the pedal's own DI out, but it'd make one more cable on the floor to trip on.
    Amp is then tweaked, depending on the place, so that I can hear, not to sound great.
    Cab is FRFR, and sounds great with a cab sim running through it.

dharmashawn likes this.
  5. JES

JES Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. I should have specified that the distortion from my amp head is part of my "sound" -- I guess if I went "clean" and used pedals for overdrive, then I could go with @XLunacy's solution but that's not in the cards at the moment.

6. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have a multi-effect pedal with amp and cab sims run last within its virtual effects chain. There is no balanced XLR output from the effects pedal. I run a 1/4" line to my GK 1001RBII, and set its XLR direct output to be tapped before the preamp stage to go DI to the PA system. This enables me to use the head to power my stage cabinets (full range speakers, usually) and use the GK's onboard EQ to adjust for tone and acoustic environment discrepancies.

There are a number of powered bass heads that allow you to do this (choose a DI feed before or after the head's preamp), and IMO it is the most practical way to manage this type of situation, though I don't consider it ideal. I personally am more interested in keeping my rig as lean as possible.

Keep in mind, again, that my speakers are full range PA-type speakers, and YMMV in terms of being able to get along with the way they sound as a stage rig. For my purposes, I rather enjoy them and find them to be, at worst, no more of a challenge to work with or get to sound good on stage than any traditional bass cabinets I've ever used.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022