Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab size...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Oct 20, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Will a too small cab affect the driver in any way?
    I know it will affect the frequencyresponse (give you humps in the mids?) but will it damage the driver to put it in a too small box?

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Yes. It could - particularly deep lows.
    Try a search on speaker excursion in the forum.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've yet to find an excursion plot in WinISD.

You can get it from http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/ported.zip however. It's pretty interesting to see how fast "good" bass drivers exceed their excursion.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually I downloaded Win ISD Pro last night. It now does cone excursion graphs.

5. I have a large number of drivers already entered into the "ported.xls" spread sheet. Very informative.

Link to Spreadsheet Files

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Actually I downloaded the freeware version of WinISD last night, and it did not.

So we're both right.

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Actually before I posted I downloaded the "stable version" of "WinISD" which does not support excursion graphing. I have not tried the "Pro" version.

So we're both right.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just letting everyone know that the Pro version has excursion graphs. At the moment, the Pro version is a free download because it's still in alpha testing. So if you're happy to put up with bugs, give it a go.