1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab solution for Warwick Profet 5.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Otso, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    Hi,

I just recently bought a Warwick Profet 5.1 and now I'm looking to buy a (cheap) cab. Basically what I have to choose from is what Thomann.de has to offer, because the stores in here have very limited selections and ridiculous prices.

First of all, I would like to go with a 4x10 cab. The Profet is rated 500W @ 4Ohms, and I think I should get a 4ohm cab (I find it quite unlikely that I'll get another cab). The big question is, how much louder will a 4ohm cab be with the supposed 500W, than an 8ohm one with approximately the 300W that the amp will drive the 8ohm cab with (I'm not sure if my sentence is technically correct, but you get the point :D )?
    So if I'd need to get (quite) loud at some point, having one 4ohm cab wouldn't be enough? I'd like to have the headroom, but if those watts exceeding 300 (well, in theory) put into a single 4ohm 4x10 will only result in farting, what's the point?

If I'll go with a 4ohm cab, the possible choices in my price range will be:

1. Ashdown MAG414T Deep
    -Cheapest one at 255€
    -Not sure about how well it'll even handle 500W? the power ratings seem shady ("350W RMS continuos, 450W program")
    -How does it sound?

2. Gallien Krueger 410MBE
    -Not available until 26. November (might need to have the rig ready as soon as possible so this is the big problem with this cab)
    -Not too expensive at 444€

3. Eden EN410XST
    -The most expensive one of my choices: 589€
    -The specs seem great, but is it really worth the money?

I would really appreciate any experience or opinions on those cabs, as I won't be able to test any of them.

2. Bump.

Interested to hear opinions on the 410XST myself.

Also I'd steer clear of the Ashdown, not a very good cab in my opinion.

3. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I have come to the conclusion that I will get an 8ohm cab, a Gallien Krueger 410MBX. 300W into a single 4x10 or 500W into two (if I feel that I need more volume and buy another cab).

4. deserted

deserted

Oct 21, 2010
    I has a Profet 5.1 with an Ampeg SVT410HLF, rated at 500w @ 4ohm. To get it to fart you need Gain at 2 O'clock and volume at 3 O'clock!! I don;t think you should be concerned with the GK410 - it will handle it no problem!! The Profet 5.1, although rated at 500w feels more like a 300w amp to me. I now use a GK 550 Fusion (500w) and it seems twice as powerful as the Profet 5.1.. it (fusion) makes the Ampeg fart at Gain 12 O'clock and Volume 2 O'clock... so am currently (although reservably) selling it for 2 x GK 212 II Neos cabs... Anyway good luck.. good choice of cab..

5. Your conclusion is correct, dear sir!
    The difference in volume between a single 4x10-cab @ 4 ohm and one @ 8 ohm, is almost futile.
    Adding a second cab later on, will double (if it is a 4x10 cab) your speaker area and volume.

So go for it!

6. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I'm also assuming that the GK cabs are quite good for the price? Because I would like to have cabs that will be decent enough when I buy a new amp (I'd like a hybrid, can't afford one atm though).