cab solutions for tiny cars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MisterSkimpy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. MisterSkimpy

Dec 21, 2004
    OK, so I was all set to buy a 410 cab of some sort (probably an Ampeg) until I borrowed my roommates Hartke 410 for a gig and had the unpleasant experience of squeezing it into a two door Oldsmobile and driving to the show with it teetering in the front seat, ready to crush my lap at any moment.

I am in serious need of a cab to upgrade from my current 100 watt Crate combo, but it appears as if the average 410 won't be conveniently transportable. I'm sure some of you are also stuck with small cars, any suggestions? I'm thinking I could buy two 210s and just stack them, or possibly something smaller than a 410 but still enough to pack the necessary wallop. Anybody suggest any certain types of cabs? Or have any solutions for this issue (aside from giving up bass and learning the flute :D)
  2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Get a Schroeder 1210 and been done with it. Louder than a 4-10 or two 210's, lighter, more powerful. Seems like a no brainer.

Good luck.
  3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    SCHROEDER......nothing more to say about that!
  4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    get a pair of avatar 2x10 cabs. Thats all I gig with and never have a problem with not being felt or heard. I stack them on vertical on their sides. That way, you can bring just one to practices or small gigs. $229 a piece plus $29 shipping, You can't beat it. 55 lbs I think.
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Tech Soundsystems ND210

I've played one and they will eat pretty much anything for breakfast, light, clear and a very precise and articulate sound, I ran them with a 1000 watt Tech head and a 2x12, I could go to max volume at which point the entire shop was literally pulsing with my playing and still they didn't fart out or distort, they're very efficient too.I've never tried Schroder but they're very well rated around here too.

Tech are German, I don't think their US distribution is brilliant though so you may have difficulty finding one to try and also be warned, they are not cheap. Best cabs I've ever played though.
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    And I play bass and flute :p, you won't get much volume out of a flute, you need to have a high flute to brass ratio in an orchestra if you want it to ballance out, you'd need an amp for your flute :D.
  7. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I suppose that gas prices are dictating what we bass players are playing through, aren't they.
    Maybe it was the gas crunch of the 70's that did away with Acoustic cabs :cool:
    I got 2 EA wizzy 112's partly cause of the car issue( might bring the family along occasionally) but also cause of the weight. I got a Honda Accord wagon for this cause I commute as well.
    Instead of compromising, that is if you really like your 410, you might get a minivan or any other larger vehicle.
    *Another thought, If you're in a band with a good P.A. just use a preamp/d.i. and don't carry a speaker at all.
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Your a Bass Player, Cars come second, sell your car!!!
  9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Schoder, If you like the sound. Be sure and give one a good listen. They definatley have their own sound. Some like, some don't. YMMV. If not check out some of the stuff Don is doing at LDS, He makes some remarkable small cabs. Also a lot of makers are doing some very cool 1 X 12's.
  10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Gas is low bro. Lower than a year ago. I drive an Expedition but still want a lighter weight rig.
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Get a 1X12 or 2X10. There are many good ones. I have a Bergantino HT112. Never needed more.
  12. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Small car owner here. When I need to put around and plug in, the GK 200MB works eh.. "ok". But having a gf with an accord and a roommate with a mazda 3, I am fortunate. Otherwise, putting in anything into a 2 seater is impossible. Sell it? Can't. That's my track car too!
  13. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Go see the ultra long :eek: Schroeder mega thread on this amp forum to see why every one is talking about them so much-esp for your situation...or see the website <> They really are the most awesome cabs :D I've ever heard,and now they are coming out with Neo speakers-the already small footprint of the 4x10 cab(about 23x23x17 will drop in weight from an already light 78 lbs "built-like-a-tank-cab" to more like 60 lbs., but like Masher88 said ;) , a 410 cab like what I have may be handles 1400 watts,my amp only feeds it 800W @ 4 ohms and I rarely turn the master Volume past 3 or 4 (= 9-10 o clock)and it is the "Thundercab" :) ...I encourage you to do whatever it takes to try one before you invest in Avatar-as you can see :ninja: I have an Avatar cab-not a bad cab,but not even in the same ball park as a Schro IMHO... :rollno: ...
  14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end 1x15s, epifani 1x12 aguilar 1x12 and bergantino 1x12 all would be good choices.
  15. Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I drive a New Beetle and if I measured everything correctly, the Aguilar GS115 and GS210 I have on order should fit along with my bass and TFB-550. If not, I'm pretty screwed! Of course, I'll probably get a hernia lifting the GS115 into the hatch! :help:
  16. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Schroeder 1210 and a 6 space rack fits real nice on the back seat of my Honda Accord. Basses go in the trunk. Never have I had a rig so small, yet so loud before.
  17. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    My GS412 slips into the back seat of my 2000 Mustang. Bass and amp go in the trunk. This leaves the passenger seat open. :hyper:

I had the pre amp and power amp in an eight space rack, but it only fit in the passenger seat. I took them out of there in order to get them to fit in the trunk. :D
  18. The Schroeder 1210 (and 1212) are the only two small cabs I've ever played through that can do a very loud gig and still fit in the trunk of a small car. Even a pair of 112's would probably have to go in the back seat.

Quite frankly, I greatly prefer the sound of my larger EpifaniUL cabs to the Schroeder's, but in the situation of needing a small cab that can fit in a rental that can cover a very large, loud gig, the Schroeder's are IMO the only ones that can do it.
  19. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    you also have to watch your wallet. schroeder's are definitely not a cheap purchase, economics wise.

i gig with an avatar 2 10 and a avatar 1 12. stack em up for a 4 ohms and get 400 watts from my swr head. easy to carry around, but plenty of volume for any medium and small gigs, and $150 less than the price of one schroeder not even including shipping of the schroeder. plus, for practices, you can just bring one of the smaller cabs. its perfect.

so, if you need an econmical, great sounding, and loud (those speakers can handle SOOO much power, my 210 can take 100 watts) then i'd go with the avatar. dave from avatar is a great guy, so go ahead and call him up and he can help you out.

my 2 cents