Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab? some help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billdog, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Sup people. I just ordered a Behringer EP1500 that should be here in a week. I have a BBE 383 preamp, and a Squier Jazz. Currently, I have a SWR Henry the 8x8 which I'm selling because it sounds too rockish. (Not that there is anything wrong with rock, just not my ideal tone) I'm selling it to a friend of mine, and getting something... Ready for the classic question? What should it be? I like Victor Wooten, Michael Manring, Oteil Burbridge, etc. for tone. Basically very hi-fi, no mids, if I'm not mistaken. I was told by the guy I got the pre from that it would work, so now I just need a cab. I played through Vic's cabs (the 15 and 4x10) one at a time, and I liked the way they both sounded. However, I don't have that kind of money. I'm looking at some used stuff in my neighborhood. In your opinions, is it the brand, or the speaker size that makes the most difference? Thanks.

2. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I personally think its the brand. Some 2x10s can be "boomier" than 2x12. Most of its in the drivers and the cab itself. 2 of the same cab with dif brand speakers will sound different.

3. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks. Any specific opinions/preferences?

4. ampeg bxt series........supposedly victor wooten uses those

5. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, I tried those *drool*, but I don't have that kind of money. :)

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You said hi-fi tone, with no mids. This is a contradiction. "Hi-fi tone" is supposed to be flat all the way across, so the mids would be at the same level as treble and bass.

Victor Wooten plays with a good amount of mids, or at least he did when he played at my high school. SVT-4 pro into his signiture cabs, and the EQ curve was a frown face.