Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab/speaker frequency response for low B string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malibu, Feb 18, 2002.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    how low should the speaker - or total cab configuration for that matter -- frequency response need to be to really get the most from the low B string - either 5 'ers or BEAD tuning -
    alot of 1 x 12 cabs I'm lookin' at are in the 40 - 50 Hz range and Genz-Benz GB-12T starts at 60 Hz !
    any recommendations ?

2. Open low B is 31 Hz.

If you play a 5 for the two octaves in the box thing, you can get away with a cab good to 41 Hz. (B string, 5th fret).

But.. if you are into hitting low B, you need a cab with an F3 of 31 Hz or lower. Look into the Eden D410-XST or the Ampeg PR-410HLF.

Download my Musican's Reference spreadsheet from my signature and check the CABS tab. You can sort it by frequency response.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    If I'm not mistaken, most of the low end you hear when you hit the low B is the 2nd harmonic at 62Hz. You would, however, want good response at 31Hz if you want that extra rumble from the fundamental note. Use your ears too because specs aren't always consistent.

4. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    ok, thanks alot for the responses and the interesting link - yeah that makes sense we are probably amplifying/hearing the 62 Hz with most cabs.

anyway,
    I'm experimenting with BEAD on a '99 American p-bass, and yes i am into hitting low B (that was a good description for the two reasons you'd use a 5-string, for the two octaves across, or, for the low B).
    so I'm only losing the highest notes of the upper G string - frets 14 and up -
    maybe 5 strings is in my future and certainly is what I now pick up when testing amps at music stores.

The Eden and Ampeg are undoubtedly pro equipment --
    the Ampeg PR-410 HLF at 95 lbs and 36 Hz with a -6db 31Hz
    Eden D410-XST 33Hz and usable low freq -10db 29Hz , 128lbs with list price $1498.

so I've already learned that those frequency responses are at full volume, you get some degree of drop off at lower frequencies.
    so unless the speaker's frequency response is close to approaching the 31 Hz, we're only gonna make the 62 Hz.

The Nemesis 112P has a low end response of 42 Hz - now I wonder if it's "usable", meaning at least -10db at the low B 31 Hz - I'm gonna look at some of the Weber speakers freq responses too.

Thanks for your help on this.