Cab Stacking Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I have a SWR goliath Jr. 210 which is exactly:
    23''w 15'' H 15" D
    The cab I am looking at now is the Avatar compact 1x15. This cab is 18" w 18" h 15" D
    Would there be a sound difference if I put the 15 on top of the 2x10? I like to keep My cabs in perportion, so i figure this would be best what would it be like If i were to take the 210 and turn it sideways and put it on top of the 15? is this a risk? Pretty much I just want to know if there is any soun difference if i put the 15 on top of the 210.Compact 15 Kappa :confused:
  2. Geez, that's one awfully small 1x15 cabinet. I myself wouldn't EVER wanna play THAT.

But to answer your question:

Putting your 2x10 flat on the ground isn't going to help you hearing yourself. The brighter sound of the 2x10 will at you feet, and the more muffled sound of the 15 is what you'll be hearing best.

Putting the 2x10 sideways on top of the 15 would be better, except it looks dumb, and where would you put your amp?
  3. Heh, it might make a good guitar cab.
  4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    O Crap:eek: I guess I will be looking at the reg. 115 instead. I bit more lugging around, but ill manage.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I knew something about Avatar was kinda fishy...
  6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I am skeptical about the Avatar C115, but curious.

BUT, I own the Avatar B115 and it sounds great. I would definetly recommend the cab to anyone. It sounds just as good as any other name brand cab. That is a strong statement but I do believe it. Don't knock it till you've tried it. I would like to see the WINISD plot for the B115. I know it sounds good and is clear and focused but I would like to see how true the specs and plot of the WINISD plot correspond to what I am hearing.

Since it sounds like you haven't bought the Avatar C115 yet, I would recommend going with the B115 instead. It is still a great deal. Plus, for your original cab stacking question, the B115 would stack nicely under the SWR Gol. III Jr. It will be stable enough to put your amp on top without too many worries of it falling over. And the 2x10 will be closer to your hearing level (depending on your height) to make it easier to hear yourself.

The B115 is light at around 45 lbs. so it is easy to manage. I wouldn't pay any attention to the post that are talking bad about Avatar without having any hands-on experience with them. That's just ignorant. If they have played the Avatar cab(s), then their opinions are justified. But I would bet that people are just throwing their ignorant opinions out in the forums!

As for "something being fishy about Avatar"....yeah, why are "YOU" "ALLOWING" the other manufacturers to rip you off...Sucker!
  7. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    hey u guys usin that program freeware? where might i get it from? what all can u do with it? what would a plot of the avatar regular size 15 cabinet look like?
  8. Link to Avatar B115 WinISD Plot

The B115 cabinet is actually larger than optimum for the Kappa 15 driver. The WinISD plot show above is for the Avatar cabinet, and tuned at 41 Hz (just a guess on my part).

The Kappa 15 is optimum in 4.64 cubic feet, tuned at 45 Hz, and provides an F3 of 51 Hz.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Disregarding the performance of an individual cab (as I no zero about the ones in question):
    Placing the 2x10 with the speakers vertically actually gives two advantages: you hear yourself better, and the audience hears you better.
    And if you build a stack, you will want the more midrangy cab higher for the same reason.

Hence, placing a 15" at the bottom and a 2x10" vertically on that should be a great configuration.
  10. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Well the point now is that im going to get the big 115. Maybe ill be smart and wait till dave gets that 112 cab out there. Ill have awsome articulate sound, with lots of mids highs and lows, and wont have to break my back!:)
  11. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR

What you need is a BagEnd S15-D! 200 W (400 W Peak), 50-20kHz, 103 dB SPL, and it is only 1/2 an inch taller and wider than the Avatar Compact 15. Not to mention, it is BagEnd... so you know it will sound good.

Avatar has band links like this:

BagEnd has Endorsements like this:
    (folks like Bunny Brunel & John Patitucci!)

You can pick up a mint, used S15-D for less than $300 anywhere... I am personally selling one myself for $275 (I love the S15-D... the only 15 I would own, but I am a 4x10 kind of guy). That is only $37 more than you would pay for that huge Avatar 15 after shipping... If you want small, quality sound, in that approximate price range, get a used BagEnd S15-D!
  12. SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    I heard somewhere before that it sounds better to stack the 15 on top of a 4x10 but I dont know personally... and I dont know if it would be the same for your 2x10.
  13. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Since you mentioned Bag End, is there a place where you can buy these online?
  14. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    this 210 i can honestly say (and i have played many 410's) puts equal or to shame most 410s. The sound on this thing is huge and extremely focused. A ton of low end, too. You'd be suprised what this thing can do for a 210. My main goal of the 15 is to be prepared for big gigs, and to get the full wattage out of my amp. I'm only getting 240 now, which is plenty loud, but i like to project.
    the 15 should increase this. Plus im already sick of having to prove people wrong when they say, "that little thing looks like it cant do !@#$'' :D then i tell them to step a couple feet back, play a few lines, and then..... well i wipe the grin off their face. Point is i don't want to wipe a grin off someones face, i want to make them swallow it, then have it twist up in a pretzel in their stomach, then have them crap it out, saying "wow, that thing was punchy."

BTW i like gettin carried away with these sorta things, Being the only serious bass player that I know in my city.:rolleyes:
  15. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Dean, if its punch you want, I suggest you stick with 10" speakers. I have an SWR Goliath Jr. III and it stomps *ss! I stack it on top of a Goliath Sr. III (6x10 w/horn). WHEW!! And with my trusty QSC PLX 1600 power amp I have NEVER been in a situation where I couldn't hear my bass! 15" speakers are usually not very punchy (JBL D140's are the only exception). I have tried a lot of stuff over the years, and it always comes down to this: there's a reason why cheap things are cheap.