Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Suggestion for Heavy Demands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steers b-c, Jan 26, 2006.

1. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    :help:

Well, I've finally sold off some gear so that I can deal with my cab situation. Basically, the HLF 4x10 isn't cutting it. It lacks clarity and punch, and it frequently farts out on some things I do even with a flat EQ. I recently purchased a GK 1001 RB-II, and I'm very impressed. That said, I'm really not sure what cabs I should look at for my particular style. I've played a few things in the stores, including the RBH GK cabs, that sound pretty good, but I'm afraid that will change when the cabs are put through the insane gauntlet that is my band.

Currently, I play a chaotic metalish band where I cover both the lower end of the spectrum as well as much of the midrange. I tend to use very aggresive and demanding distortion and play in Drop-D. I hit the strings very strongly in this band and almost exculsively with a pick. Even worse, I frequently do noise loops and "walls of death" that really slam the speakers, often with various degrees of pitchshifting involved. Tonally, I'm looking for something that has the punch of Jesus Lizard or Shellac-ish style punch that also pounds the lowend into your chest on the heavier parts. And given that my band regularly plays in venues that do not have the world's best PA systems, the volume is frequently set to "slay." Given this rather nutty situation, I'm worried that cabs that sound good in the store will crumble under the pressure.

I have a budget of around $1000 with a little, although not much, bending room. At the top of the list right now is the GK Neo 412 based on the suggests of the very kind GK rep on here, but I figured I seek out a general opinion. I'm not all that worried about weight, although lighter isn't necessarily bad. And, like I said before, I often have to go without a PA so I need pretty decent "speakerage". Thanks for your time, and I'm excited to hear your suggestions!

2. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    Wow, the specs on the Neo412 are interesting, 107dB efficiency. It’s similar in size to an Aguilar GS412, a little shorter and wider and about the same weight (50 lbs. lighter than an Ampeg fridge, pretty damn portable for a big cab). And it would let you take advantage of the 1001’s bi-amp function, don’t know how important that would be for you. Haven't heard one though.

Since you're in Austin, you might see if Bass Emporium has a GS412 in stock (retail price just fits your budget). I'd expect it to have a somewhat darker sound than the GK, but it can definitely move some air. As in, it’s one big, loud sonofabitch, should be able to take those 700 watts and beg for more.

http://aguilaramp.com/products_cabinets_gs412.htm

I still enjoy reading the Bass Player review, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy:

http://aguilaramp.com/pdf/news_reviews_gs412_bp052004.pdf

I’d expect lots of Schroeder recommendations shortly as well (I haven’t heard the Schros myself, but I am curious).

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Bass Emporium, other than spending money there... :cool:

3. Yes, i think schroeder would be good.

Definitley check out Jorg's stuff.

I also think that eden is right your alley as well, 410XLT's are killer. They have some serious midrange bite and growl.

4. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Hah, I don't know the answer to your question, but I want to check out your band!

5. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    :)

Hint, there is a link in my sig. Sound quality is rather "meh," but that should be rather rectified by the new record...

6. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I've dropped by Bass Emporium a few times but not since they've moved to their new location. I get the feeling they do a LARGE chunk of their business online, or at least that was for sure at the old spot...it was tiny! So, it seems that 12" speakers are the main recommendation thus far, which makes me feel a bit better about things. When I toyed with the RBH stack the presence of the 15" made a huge difference, but I'm guessing the 12"er would split the middle?

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes, I think that a Schroeder 21012 would deliver what you are looking for in spades.

With the GK 1001 RB-II, it should be VERY punchy and have great low end power.

8. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    They sure did for me. Always used 15s, never found 10s I liked, the 12s have been great.

The new Bass Emporium location is nice, the old one was definitely a tight squeeze. It's right between G*itar Center and G*itar Resurrection, that's a lot of options within a couple of miles.

I get the feeling you might find the Aguilar 412 somewhat less forward-sounding than the GK or Schroeders, but it still might be worth a listen since we're talking punishing volume levels. :)

9. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nice, I'll have to go check it out. I take it you're a local as well? Not that I've been stalking or anything...:ninja: :)

10. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    Nope, I'm the lurking one...hangin' in the shadows here and on HCBF (and in real life too, at the moment...).

I saw the thread about needing a manly cab and started to just give my standard "GS412 = Good! Big! Loud!" spiel, then saw it was you and went "Hey, it's steers, he's from around these parts." :D

11. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Alrighty, I was browsing the Schroeder site. I confess, I'm stuck with the idea of the big rig, so the most attractive item there for me was the 310212. However, does the 1001 RB-II have the mojo to drive this bigun?

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    IMO/IME, the Schroeders are louder in real life than their efficiency ratings would suggest (even though those are fairly high).

The way the sound is projected by this cab design is similar to smaller diameter drivers close up and similar to larger diameter drivers farther away from the cab(s) -- they project really well at various distances, so they come across as being more efficient than you would guess.

200W + will surprise you -- the GK 1001 should do fine (as I said before).

13. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    When I read your top post I too was thinking 410XLT, especially after hearing Watt several times now tear through sets with that cab.

14. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    For your type of music (I play similar stuff, very heavy, punchy,distorted) definitely check out Mesa Boogie's 6x10

I have a 6x10 roadready and this thing absolutely kills. It costs a little more than what you said you're willing to pay, so maybe look at mesa's 4x10 (I own 2 of those as well and they've been going strong for 7 years now) These cabs hit you right in the gut, they're awesome.

15. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for all the tips guys. At the moment, I think that the 310212 is in the lead. I know it is unwarrented, but I'm shying away from straight 10s after my experience with this Ampeg. And if, as you say, the 1001 RB is enough to power it then I should be good to go. The price is almost perfect as well...

16. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    There's no substitute for square inches of speaker. All else being equal, doubling your speakers adds 3 dB of efficiency per watt.

I'm a fan of the higher priced stuff for my own rig, but in your situation, I might suggest a pair of Avatar 4x10 cabs. That should fit your $1K budget with room to spare.

17. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, that makes sense for solving the volume issue, but I'm not sure it would take care of the tonal problems I'm having, particularly in regards to the low end farting out. The main reason I'm currently leaning towards the 310212 is that it increases my speaker area while addressing both clarity and total speakerage...although the thread about the 21012 lacking mids is a bit scary.

18. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Maybe a couple of 2x12 cabs would be a better solution then, or a 2x12 and a 4x10 combined. I really think you're going to have trouble getting enough sound out of a single cabinet... unless it's an 8x10. But I could be wrong.

19. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Good point, but I guess I'm kinda considering the 310212 as "multiple cabs" because of its configuration. Does actually having two different boxes make a difference in the overal volume?

20. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    FWIW, if you don't like the HLF, I don’t think you’ll be happy with any of the other Ampeg 10s either. But, it could be just the AMPEG 10s that you don’t like, so maybe some of the other 10” cabs might be worth looking at.

I’ve never been able to get the depth I want with 10s, so the additional 12s in the Schro seem like a good idea. The 310212 does look like a badass...the Schroeders are really the only cabs I’m even curious about these days. I dig the Flightready option, too. The only thing is, it’s hard to tell how easy/difficult the extra-large box is to deal with, since I can't find any dimensions posted on the website.