1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab Suggestions for 100W Tube Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John123z, Oct 16, 2006.

1. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    I recently rebuilt my 100W Plush 1060-S tube head and would like to mate it with a quality cab, primarily for practice and periodic coffee shop venues. I was hoping for a 1x12 that is of reasonable weight (40lbs or less) and price (less than $400). It's got be be a good general purpose cab, since it won't be used for any one particular style of music. It would also be nice if it could handle a 5 string bass.

Since many of the threads here reference cabs that are not locally available, I need some suggestions & opinions from experienced users. Which cabs would compliment these tubes well? The amps tone is very similiar to a Bassman 100.

John

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    For a 100 watt tube head I personally would be looking at a min. of a 2x12 or 4x10 cab. If you are only doing coffeehouse gigs a 1x12 might do fine for the time being.

3. I would love to mate a 100 watt tube head to an Accugroove Tri112... considering how much I love my 400 watter into my El Whappo

4. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Junior,

I have a Ashdown Mag c300-210t and also the original Plush 3x15 cab. I really want something small that will accentuate my amp.

James,

That a little out of my price range.

John

5. pretty steep but well worth it IMO.

www.accugroove.com

6. Actually, how many watts should a cab be rated at for tube amps? 2x, 3x, the you'd use for solid state? Since everybody says tube amps go louder...

My quatravalve, 220 watts, smokes my svt-3pro, 450 watts, for sure (ok, ampeg may be overrated). I'm also considering new cabs, hence the question.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend the aguilar GS112 or if you want to spend a few $$, look at the 210 sadowsky cab. Great cab with low power

8. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    The Aguilar would be within my budget. I just missed one on ebay today.

John

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Aguilar is a pretty scooped sounding cabinet. I'd personally go with a Schroeder Mini 12.

10. or the Avatar SB112

11. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    The Avatar is sure attractively priced...

John

12. plus they come in cool colors too. I'd look at the 2x10 maybe. It's got a little more speaker surface, better punch and you already have a 2x10 setup that I'll assume you like.

they are 4 lbs over your limit... but that's solid 13-ply void free ply they are made from

13. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Bass Emporium has a used Genz Benz 1x12 for $225. The Genz-Benz site says it's 36 lbs. That fits two of your criteria right there. Don't know how they sound, though. I've never experienced anything but their Neo cabs. I really can't recall who it is, but someone on here is a big fan of the Genz-Benz gear, so a search might help out.

15. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I ran a Plush back in the mid '70's!

The Avatar 112 would match nicely, the other option worth considering is to give Don a call at LDS. Don has a number of three way designs that are very efficient for the weight.

16. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    My WIZZY sounds great with my Ampeg V4b. Its alittle over your buget but handles the 5 string fine. It has a thick rich voice that cuts through any mix

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021