Cab suggestions for GK 700RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nigel, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    I'm looking for an extension cab for my GK 700RB 210 combo to improve the low end.
    I'm thinking of an 15", either the GK 115SBX or the Ampeg SVT-15E. Which one would you suggest?
    Should I ad a 410 instead?
    It has to be in 8 ohm so I don't overload the amp.
    I play a jazz bass and I play mostly rock music (Not too aggressive though...) Any other suggestions appreciated... Thank you in advance for any help.
    P.S. I'm also adding a SABDDI just in case that could affect anyone's opinion....
  2. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Not meaning to sway the discussion but I got 2 questions for you.

Is your 700rb a mark I or II?

How does the SABDDI sound with the 700RB?
  3. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Both cabs you sight are what I call "large format" cabs. The size of the cab is about the same size as a 410...the sound will be big as a if you are looking for really loud, boomy bass for a large room, the large format 15 is teh way to go...but it will be aggressive. A more controllable option would be a 410 or maybe a 210 or a 1-12. Bergantino, Trace Elliott and SWR make smaller cabinet single 15's that might work better. Unless your band plays really loud and aggressive, I'm thinking the large format 15 is too much.
  4. That combo will stack really well on the 115SBX and I completely disagree with the last comment on 115's versus 410's. The 115 has a rounder, smoother response while the 410 is more agressive and punchy. You will feel the 15 more than hear it while you will hear the 410 more than feel it.
  5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Maybe the GK NEO2X12 as a compromise? It's what I'm doing.
  6. Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    It's a mark I. I have not tried the SABDDI yet - I've just really set my mind on getting one based on the reviews in the effects forum. I think it would be great to be able to color the solid state, very natural sound that the GK produces with some tube emulation, when desired.

Thank you all for your help! :)
  7. Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Any other specific suggestions for a cab that would achieve a a fuller sound with more bass?
    I've decided to go for a 1x15" so...
    Any other brands I might wanna check out?
    How about that Ampeg (SVT-15E), anyone have any remarks?
  8. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use one or two Avatar CB112s depending on the size of the gig. Great cabs for the $$.
  9. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't mean to start a flame war Daniel, but you just validated what I was trying to say about 15's vs 410...the 15 is more felt than heard, which in my opinion makes it a less controlled sound, prone to boominess and overkill if used in a small club without restraint. Smaller format 15's are designed to reduce some of the is not that one is right and one is wrong, but what application you are using it for. The original post said rock but not too aggressive, so that is why I was thinking the more controlled sound of a 210 or 410 might be a nice addition to the rig. Sounds like Nigel is going for the 15. I do admit, nothing like the big sound of a juiced up 15.
  10. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I've had GK 115, 210, and 410 SBX and they're all quite nice. Don't think you can go wrong with them. And the 115 was my favorite of the three, even though usually I'm a big fan of 10's.
  11. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    My fav combo is punchyness of 4x10 and boomyness of a 18"