Cab suggestions for SWR SM-500???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkdaddy, Aug 6, 2001.

1. I just bought an SWR SM-500, and would appreciate any suggestions for compatible speaker cabs. I really like the sound of SWR cabs, although I'm open to other brands. My playing style is R&B, funk and jazz, and I prefer the sound of 10" speakers. I want to keep the weight to a minimum. Would two Goliath Junior III cabs (8-ohms) work well? Will this setup produce a sound similar to using one Goliath III cab? I will probably use the cab(s) in Bridge/Mono mode, but would like to have the versatility to also use in Stereo mode.

I have a couple of questions about using the SM-500 in Stereo mode: If I have one 8-ohm cabinet on each side, and I'm driving 150 watts per channel, does that mean that in effect I will have the volume of 300 watts? In other words, will the volume be about the same as if I was driving 300 watts in Bridge/Mono mode? Also, do I have to use the same type of cabinet on each side when using the Stereo mode (for example, a Goliath III on each side), or can I use two completely different cabinets such as a Goliath III on the left and a Triad on the right? Do the impedances on each side have to match, or can I have an 8-ohm cab on the left and a 4-ohm cab on the right?

Last question: If I wanted to use only one Goliath Junior III cab (8-ohms) for practice or small gigs, can I do this in Bridge/Mono mode? The SM-500 puts out 400 watts at 8-ohms, but the Goliath Junior III can handle only 350 watts. I'm not sure if this would create a problem. As an alternative, could I hook up the Goliath Junior III cab to one channel only and use it in Stereo mode? This would only be 150 watts at 8-ohms.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer.
  2. Using two Goliath Jr's sounds pretty good to me. I haven't tried that combination yet, but I'm sure it would sound close to the Goliath cabinet, plus a little more portable. Pumping out 150 watts on each channel in stereo mode would in essence be like using 300 watts. I think bridged mode sounds better IMO (more of a focused sound). Stereo mode is good if you're driving two unmatched ohm cabinets (ex. 4 ohm and 8 ohm) or if the speakers in the each cabinet are different. You can use any combination of cabinets on each channel of the amp as long as it isn't less than the minimum load (I think its 2 ohms per channel). You can use the Goliath Jr in bridged mode, but watch those speakers. Too much volume could probably do some damage. You can run the cab in one channel in stereo mode w/o using the other (I believe its the left channel).
  3. As a long time owner of this type of amp, my advice would be to skip the stereo feature on the SM 500 are always run it bridged mono.

I use my SM400-S in bridged (500 watts) into a Henry 8x8 (rated 480 watts @ 4 ohms). Sounds killer and is LOUD. The 500 watt SWR Pro Series Amps have the best headroom and response bridged with a cab that matches that output. Use one Goliath Jr. 8 ohm bridged for rehearsals, practice, small gigs.

The SOB and Goliath Jr. 8 ohm goes well too. But not in stereo. Bridged again.
    Not as loud as an 8x8.

It's a great amp and very reliable. Good choice. You'll love it.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    may i suggest getting a goliath jr and a triad?

this is the setup i have, and i believe it to be near perfect. the triad weighs less than a 4x10 cabinet, and the goliath jr weighs less than a 1x15 cabinet, but you have 3 10's a 15, and 2 horns. i too play funk, jazz, r&b,'s nice because for small gigs i can take the Gjr, for medium gigs i can take the triad, and for my big funk gigs i take the whole thing.

and the triad is one of the most balanced cabs i've ever heard.

can the SM-500 run a 2 ohm load? if so a 4 ohm goliath jr plus the triad would give you LOTS of power.

5. I play my SM400s bridged mono into 1 8ohm Goliath III its plenty for almost all venues . Another good set up for your amp is 2 Bag-end S15-D 8ohm cabs bridged mono it pumps 500 watts to these little cubes and its a wonderful sound (loud too)
  6. In Stereo it's rated for a 2 ohm load @ 300 watts
    per channel. Bridged min. is 4 ohms @ 500 watts.

In stereo mode, 250 watts @ 4 ohms with Triad and
    250 watts @ 4 ohms with 4 ohm Goliath Jr. equals a total
    of 500 watts.
  7. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I'll let you know which cabs I decide to get.

Ive got another question about the SM-500: Will the fan turn on if I'm playing at low volume, or will this only happen if I have the amp cranked up? Is there any way to keep the fan from turning on if I don't want the noise to interfere (such as when I'm practicing at low volume, or if I'm micing the cabinets for recording purposes)?

Thanks again for the information!
  8. Yes, the fan can and will go on at low volume.
    To get around this you can just switch to stereo mode and use just the right channel output. The thermal sensor for the fan is located on the left heat sink. Check your manual.

If you are micing the cabinet for recording, don't put the head on top of the cab. Place the amp far enough away from the mic'd cab so there will be no fan noise coming through.