Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab suggestions, Low powered amp, Aguilar vs. Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kneal6, May 23, 2005.

1. kneal6

kneal6

May 23, 2005
    Liverpool, UK
    Hi, I live in England, so the price of gear is quite different to the US, that's why I'm posting.

I have a Yamaha BBT500H head (500W@2Ohm;250W@4Ohm;125W@8Ohm), and I'd like to get a compact cab, probably a 1X12, to use with it. My choices are:

Avatar SB112(4ohms) for £260 (from www.gear4music.nl)
    Aguilar GS112(8Ohms) for £360 from the Bass Gallery in London(www.thebassgallery.com)

Ashdown MAG 210(8Ohm) for about £200

Can anyone tell me how loud the Aguilar would be compared to the Avatar, since it'll only be getting 125W? The Avatar is about the only 4Ohm cab I've seen available here. Also, If I order 2 Avatar cabs at the same time, I'll get a discount, so a B210Neo and an SB112 would be £520, or 2 SB112's would be £490. Either way, there's still a much smaller price gap between the Aguilar and the Avatar cabs than there is in the US. I want a single cab that I can use for rehearsals and small gigs, and I'll add another cab for bigger gigs.

Thanks for the help.

2. I'd go the Avatar cabinets for a few reasons.

1) They are cheaper, Avaialable at 4ohms which will better suit the output of your head- especially if you are planning on keeping that head. 2ohm heads are few and far between these days. So if you are planning on upgrading keep that in mind.

2) I hear the Aguilar cabinets require a fair bit of power to really make them sing. 125w isnt alot of power for a big cab like that. I am pushing 160w@8ohm into my Hartke 210XL and you can hear the amp distorting if you crank it too much

3) Avatar use standard parts, so they are easier to fix if the need is there...

Personally, if you like your amp, and dont plan on upgrading it any time soon I would go an Avatar 4ohm 1x12 and then a 4ohm 2x10, that way your amp will be getting full power 500w@2ohms and you'll still get a respectable ammount using only one cabinet 250w@4ohms.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Actually the Aguilar doesn't require alot of power and will be OK. The aguilar also uses "standard" parts. Sonically, the cabs are different. The Aguilar has deep bass for such a small cabinet. If you are using this for practice, I would probably, recommend the avatar since it is a 4ohm cab and you will get more power witch will make a bigger difference than any sonic difference between the cab.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't know what you mean by "standard parts", but I DO know that the speaker in the Aguilar is a CUSTOM Eminence design, I have seen the spec sheet for it. It is not a "standard" Eminence speaker (Delta, Deltalite, Kappa) like the Avatar uses.