Cab Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SlimBaixo, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Ampeg SVT 410HLF

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Ampeg SVT-212AV

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. GK CX410-8

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Ashdown Rootmaster RM-414T

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  6. Carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SlimBaixo

SlimBaixo

Jan 23, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking to purchase an Aguilar Tone Hammer 700 later this year but as much as I would like to pair it with Aguilar cab, but trying to keep it with a budget of $800.

I'm considering the:
    Ampeg: SVT-410HLF or SVT-212AV
    GK:CX410-8
    Ashdown : Rootmaster RM-414T

I'm open to any other suggestions. Preferably looking for 4ohm and not considering Fender cabs as I find them a little more on the brighter side.

Also, cwould prefer 2x12 or 4x10

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Hey, it's your little red wagon, so have it any way you like it. But I just thought I'd chime in to say that I would never choose a 410 cab of any kind. They're too big, too heavy, and too... horizontal. All that power just blowing the cuffs of your pants around and causing you to buy a vehicle based on whether or not the cab fits in it. No thanks.

I'd much rather have a pair of 210 cabs. At least I could stack them vertically and carry them one at a time. Smaller, lighter, do the same job, and bring the sound closer to my ears on stage. And if you have a really small gig you can bring just one!

Your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Frequent heartburn may be a sign of a more serious problem, etc., etc.

bobomatic and Stumbo like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    RS212 Bass Cabinet | RevSound

Call the builder, Dave, and discuss your needs. His number is on the website.
    Great to work with and very knowledgeable.

4. I gigged with an Ampeg 8 10e for several years. Old age and a crappy back made me downsize to a 2 12av. I have not been disappointed in any way with this cab. It does everything the 8 10 did in spades. I used to get told to turn down with the 8 10. I still get told to turn down with the 2 12. I haven't ran them side by side but it sounds as good as the 8 10 too. I picked mine up from Sweetwater for just over $700 including tax. They weren't in stock when I first wanted it. I called my Sweetwater rep and told him what I wanted. As soon as they came in stock (about three weeks later) I received an e mail from him and ordered it. It was at my Fed Ex Store four days later.

5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Cool, I hadn't heard of this outfit. Nice price. And the info on the website seems legit. Like no hype, good factual info.

Stumbo likes this.
  6. SlimBaixo

SlimBaixo

Jan 23, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, I completely agree with reasons as to why not get a 4x10. Funny enough, I've had frequent heartburn for over 10 years that I've been meaning to get checked especially since I'm about to be only 29

7. SlimBaixo

SlimBaixo

Jan 23, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

8. SlimBaixo

SlimBaixo

Jan 23, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm leaning more to the 2x12 side so thank you for your input. Out of curiosity, which head are you using?

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You can always check out my thread: Official Revsound Bass Cab Club

10. With the 8 10 I was using an SVT Classic head for most of the time. For about the last year I was using the 8 10 I was running it with an Ampeg PF 500 head. I had very good results with this set up. I have been running the 2 12 exclusively with the PF 500 for about six months now. Like I said in the above post , I have never actually A-B either set up but I don't feel like I have lost anything with my current set up. My ears are quite happy and my back is ecstatic.

SlimBaixo likes this.
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I voted for ampeg 410 hlf

If you can stand its weight, no other 4 ohm 4x10" pushes air like this one
    Plus, peaks at no less than 1,000w

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    SlimBaixo likes this.
  12. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    Check the LowEnd 212 cab from LowEnd Basses. It’s a great cab. It’s my main and only cab now. Matches well with any amp. 1000 watt. In your budget price also.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Official Revsound Bass Cab Club

14. SlimBaixo

SlimBaixo

Jan 23, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry for the late update guys. Got a killer deal on a lightly used Ampeg SVT 410 ends couldn't pass it up.

Here's a pick of my rig.

20190919_183441.jpg

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Cool rig!

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021