Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Mar 5, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hi everyone,

I currently have a Trace Elliot AH350SMX going through an SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10" and an ashdown MAG 1x15". Well I've decided that I love the sound when playing with just the SWR, but when I add the Ashdown things sound much muddier, and even with EQ adjustments I'm still not happy with the sound.

So I'm thinking about a new 8 ohm cab to replace the Ashdown and complement the SWR. I play funk mainly. I'm thinking maybe a 4x10" Goliath, a 4x10" Ampeg or a 2x12 Mesa. Any suggestions? Preferably be able to handle a low B well, but I mainly use my 4-string Warwick.

We don't have too many great cabs here in NZ - can't get Eden, Aguilar etc. My choices are pretty much Gallien-Krueger, SWR, Mesa, Ashdown, Ampeg, Fender, Genz-Benz and Warwick. But I may be able to find others around. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    If the SWR is your thing, stick with it. Get a 4x10. If you are playing mostly funk, that should do the trick and handle your low B string (make sure you check out the frequency response).

I find it is better to match cabs from the same manufacturer. Mixing and matching is going to give you to differently voiced cabinets that may not compliment each other well.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    About the mix nd matching cabs, I have never had a problem with it. However, I still think that the SWR SOB would probabally be great, or maybe an Eden 115. Bag End makes great 15s as well. If you want to stick to 10s, the Gol III is great. Edit: After seeing the brands you listed, check out some Genz Benz cabs, they are awesome! If you want a lot of volume, their 610 could replace your whole rig.

4. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    I love my Goliath 4x10. No problem getting the low B out of it. It can generate an earthquake if I want it to.

I auditioned the Ampeg PR410HLF (about $1,000 USD), and I liked it better than the SWR 4x10, but the SWR was a great 2nd place finisher for $600. I'm not sure if the Ampeg is $400 better, but it sure is nice.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown cabs are excellent when you want some kind of vintagish tone. For funk/slap/etc. there are sure better cabs. If I had such a search, I'd probably turn my eyes towards Eden (even Nemesis) or SWR.

Cheers
    Jay

6. TJmccreedy2183

TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    Believe or not man i recently just bought a Hartke 2 15's because i needed another cab and my amp was to power just for my Ampeg 4 10's HLF. I was low on cash but i couldn't have been more pleased with the sound. It holds up awesome and goes well with my ampeg.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Some cabs dont complement each other well, and muddy each other up like you experienced. I would stick to SWR in your case. You can usually find good deals on the used market.