1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cab suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daywalker, May 11, 2006.

Which one?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2006.
  1. GS410/GS212(975 Watts)

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. GS412(750 Watts)

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    My DB750 should ship either this week or next, and I still can't decide what cab(s) to buy. I'd like to run the amp at 2OHMs to get every ounce of juice out of it that I can. Does running an amp at 2OHMS stress or overwork it in any way? Does anyone out there run a 410 and 212 together? If so, what do you like/dislike about the set-up? Should I just get a GS412? If you could have either, which would you get and why? Thanks...:help:

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    A high quality amp like the Aguilar shouldn't have any problem doing 2 ohms. While this will work the amp harder, the Aguilar can take it.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    If I could have either I would go with the 4x10+2x12 set up...why? Best of both worlds - 4 10" drivers for some serious punch and 2 12" drivers for that tight, low end.
    4x10 and 2x12 will also probably be a little more portable, and you can have the option of taking one or the other to a show depending on your needs.

Can anyone comment on the volume of each set up?? Which one would be louder? I have heard that the 4x12 can get retarded loud...will the 4x10+2x12 be louder? Logically, you would think yes because there are more drivers and you are moving more air...

4. +1

As I've mantioned to you before, IMO this would be the best setup of the two. I wanted a GS412 for a while, but remembered the "giant cab" problems I had with my Ampeg 810. Too huge to move alone, steps suck, and for the smaller gigs, I'd feel pretty stupid with the giant cab.

I should be getting my new DB410 by next week, I can give you a review on that if you'd like.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    That would be great! Thanks again!:hyper:

PS - The DB cabs are on musician's friend now. I think you're right, they ARE in fact taking over!:eek:

6. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    Moving the GS412 is nothing like the Ampeg.

I find it easier to wheel around than to carry two GS112's.

It is always my first choice because of portability, plus it can move some air.

It is a lot easier to move than the GS410 and the GS212.

7. A little part of me fantasizes about showing up at some dive bar with a 16x10 cab, in a circular configuration around a grouping of 4-15's, and seeing how much stuff I can tip over.:D
    C7

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Tough call. I have a gs 412 and epi 410, 212 that I use with my db750. I have two berg 322's as well, I use one 322 with the 750, if I use both its with a pre/power rig. To me out of all the combos of cabs the gs 412 is the easiest to move. Its easier to move than the epi 410ul even. Each cab combo sounds great but not in every venue wich is why I went with so many cabs.
    If I had to do it all over again I would still choose the same cabs but I think I would go with the epi 410/ 212 first. Simply cos it gives me three choices of cabs for the event. I might even go the epi410/berg 322 at first as well, for the same reason.
    Just a quick run down with the db750, I use the gs 412 the most. It the loudest (except the two bergs with pre/power), easiest to move and the biggest low end. The berg 322 sounds the best and the epi cabs have great mix and match choices.

On a side note, all these cabs sound good, and I have never been a big fan of aguilar cabs except the 412. Great cab!
    JMO :)

9. FWIW, I just got a 750 last week...and I can tell you, the amp is stupid loud even at 4 ohms. I'd decide what cab(s) you want to go with based on sound and portability (and budget). You won't have to worry about power. It's retarted loud running at any impedance. My last amp was a 70's SVT and the DB750 is louder.

-Nick

10. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Bump for more votes?