Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hiphopbassist, Dec 3, 2001.

1. I just put a Bag End 4 x 10 on consignment at the local music store. Great cab, but too big and heavy to lug around in a small car. What I got left is a Bag End 1 x 15. My amp is a Mesa/Boogie 400+ and my bass is a Music Man Stingray 4 string. It has the piezo bridge (I love it!!) and Thomastick Jazz flats. The music I play is a mix of reggae and hip hop with a little jazz thrown in. That's why the unusual set up for a MM.

Here's the question: I want to get another cab and was thinking of getting a 2nd 1 x 15. Any opinions on this idea? Given the kind of music that I play what do ya'll think of this idea. I figure I can dial in a little more top if necessary between the bass and the amp. Carrying 2 small cabs ain't bad either.

Thanks in advance and peace,
    Vince

2. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    Hiphop,

That Mesa amp is enough to put your back in traction!!
    Way too heavy with such a great sound. Check out Ashdown ABM500 - great sound, much lighter.
    Regarding your cabinet question - I would go with the Bag End 1x15 - small but has a great punch.
    Easy for gigs - and with the 2 x15 cabinets your sound would be tight.

Good luck

3. Hey Hip, I recently added an S12-D to my S15-D and gotta tell ya I couldn't be happier with this combination. While the bag 15's are naturally punchier than most 15's the S12-D will really bring your mids and highs out without having to to deal with a clanky sonding horn or an expensive coax tweeter. Not that it matters but it is also the coolest looking mini stack you'll ever see!