1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab to add to CN210 for increased bottom end slam?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I use a pair of CN210's that sound GREAT, but are a tad shy in the lower lows, an area I really like (being used to using Accugroove and Acme cabs for a while in the past).

I'm wondering about some kind of cab that would pair well with the CN210 that would offer some more slam and low end extension. The CN is fantastic in the mids and I like the highs, it just needs a little more booty.

Anyone have any experience with this setup and have any ideas? I am not sure that a Berg 112 is gonna have the big wallop I'm looking for. I'd prefer to keep it modular, as opposed to buying a big cab.

2. Unfortunately you are just going to have to take your cab out and pair it with everything you can find to see what suits your ear. No one here can tell you what you're looking for or will like except you.

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    fair enough. Just wondering if anyone else has been down this particular road, as it wouldnt be unreasonable to assume that others have had a similar experience with this cab setup.

For example, I have a friend nearby who pairs his with a F112 for this very reason. If they were a little more affordable I'd be looking into one of those, but at almost a grand used, I have a hard time swallowing that pill.

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Also, living where I live, this is not really an option.

5. I believe the CN is Bergantino's cabs. Why not write to him (Jim?)? He may have a solution based on creating the cabs at which two might pair well.

SteveHeissner and telecopy like this.
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    it is. I've been in touch with Jim about this in the past. Looking for input from non-Berg specific individuals. Jim is hyper reasonable and extremely knowledgable, but I'm fully aware of what from his line (old and new) would be effective for this purpose.

7. Understandable. You could sell the 210's and buy something that suits your ear better on its own?

8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thats a possibility. I would just hate to as I love the tone and form factor of those cabs, and dont want to go back to non-neo cabs either. But perhaps there is something as modular and light that has a similar tone/envelope with more booty extension.

9. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    You might touch bass with Mike Arnopol, his cabs have booty, and from what I understand they tend to play well with others.

J.Wolf likes this.
  10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thanks Duke!!!

I did try to pair the MAS109 with the CN210. It sounded OK, but wasnt quite what I was looking for. the 109 has a great low end, but somehow it didnt match up super well for my needs.

HolmeBass likes this.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Looking for more bass? Go back to using Acme cabinets! :)

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    interestingly, I bought an HPF a year or two after I sold my Low B2's. Probably worth another shake with a HPF, but without, man did I fight those things. I love their tone in a room by themselves, but on a gig they never firmed up quite like I needed. The newer 12's would be interesting.

13. The f112 then. Try your buddy's solo, see how the mids and highs work for you, and if they do sell the Bergs and get two of them.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    yeah maybe so. Will have to get my buddy up this way soon to check it out.

Like I said, my goal is to keep the CN210's and add some thunder, as opposed to swapping out the cabs. We'll have to see how the F112 plays with the CN210 on the gig especially.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Fearful 12Sub. IMG950110.jpg

dukeorock and J.Wolf like this.
  16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    you might want to try a MAS Flex210 :D :D :D

J.Wolf likes this.
  17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Hey. That sounds familiar. :)

18. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Maybe a Ref112 or HD112? From my experience with the HD210, it sounded much more full down low after adding a HD112.

19. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I paired up an Acme Low B2 with a DrBass 115. The Acme has a flat response, so it made the 115 into a bigger 115 with an extended bottom.

J.Wolf likes this.
  20. That Fearfull sub or something similar is what I've been wondering about too. I just picked up a F112 and I will not schlep two of them.it may seem trivial to some but they are both heavier and bigger than the Bergs. Two Berg 112's is as much as I want to carry these days. I only haul the 212 when I have to. I'm also moving to a somewhat smaller vehicle soon. ..........goes to look up specs......

J.Wolf likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021