1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cab to go with 800rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cewelch81, Mar 18, 2013.

1. cewelch81

cewelch81

Feb 28, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    I just purchased a GK 800rb off of this site, and the head sounds awesome. I just have a question for anyone that has experience with this head. I have a Schroeder 1210 cab (4ohm) running from the low power amp, but am looking for a cab to go with the 100 watt high power amp. Right now I have a Hartke 410 running off of it, but with that little power it isn't much more than just the worlds heaviest amp riser for the Schroeder.

I was looking into a GK Neo 112 or 115. Would this power amp be enough to get decent performance out of one of these cabs? I do not want to part with the schroeder, so I am just looking for a good cab to go with the 100 watt amp. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. My honest opinion, having used that amp for years and years, is that you shouldn't bother. Bi amping a bass rig is truly a thing of the past. Virtually every cab made today is meant to run full-range(there are a couple of subs out there, but you need the matching cab) and all you get by Hi-passing a full range cab is less volume.
    Best bet is to just get a bigger cab(if you need more volume).

3. Not worth the effort.....

If your Scroeder isn't loud enough with that amp, time for a new cab.

4. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I run a little 6" driver off the 100w (high) amp. and a 1x15 on the bottom(300w). Its my poor-man's fEarful 15/6. :p But id wager it sounds just as good,,or pretty close, anyway.

I purchased a small, prefab cab (9"x9"x8") for a 6" driver from amazon, and got the 6" driver (used) of the bay for $20. No need for a crossover; its all done in the amp.

Theres really no point in investing alot of money for a bass cab to run off the 100w portion of your 800RB, imo. I mean, in biamp mode, the high end is only reproducing mid to high frequencies.

Also, whatever cab you choose, keep in mind that you cannot run a 4 ohm load on the 100w high amp! GK says to use 8 ohm only.

5. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Bag end s15 stack. Done

6. cewelch81

cewelch81

Feb 28, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not planning on running it bi-amp, just want to utilize the 100watt amp (if it is worth it). I like the idea of the Bag End s15. Ithink I'm going to look more into that.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    :bassist:

My gigging rig for a long time. It's gloriously awesome! I'm still running the S15D's, but I've usually been using a GK MB500 instead of the 800RB. I'll bring it or my 400RB out on occasions though.

8. cewelch81

cewelch81

Feb 28, 2013
    Shreveport, LA
    After listening to a 800rb through the s15 I have to say I'm sold. Pay day is tomorrow, time to go find one.

9. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Cool. Keep in my 2 is best.