Cab to go with Ampeg BSE410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 27, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    I wanted to get the BSE115 cab, but the thing is like 5 inches smaller than the 410 cab. They do not stack up nicely at all.

I dont think it is supposed to be like that is it? Was this possibly a modified cab thats been returned or something?

Does anyone else use the BSE 4 x 10's and a 1 x 15 too?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Isn't the BSE410HLF a 4 ohm cab? If it is, make sure your head can handle the load it you're gonna add an extra BSE115 cab (probably 8 ohms).
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The HLF is indeed a 4 Ohm Cab.
    So you have 2 options.
    1) If your amp can handle 2 Ohms , you can get any 4Ohm Cab. I would recommend a 1x15.

2) Dont get any extra cab if your amp says : Minimum Load 4 Ohms then you are stuck with the 4x10 , unless you want to do some wiring to make a Series Cable wich would do the opposite: That means.. 4 + 4 = 8 (Series - Non Standard) . Instead of 4 + 4 = 2 (Parallel, Standard) The problem with this is that to sound good you need to have the same kind of speakers. If not.. it will sound like s... and probable unbalance the sound. Also, less current (power) will flow to the speakers. So a 200 Watt 4 ohm amp, would make about 120Watt at 8 OHM.

Either way.. DO NOT MIX an 4 Ohm cab with an 8 ohm Cab. This will create an unbalanced output and an impedance around 2.6 (This is not good)
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Since you were talking about cosmetics... the cab is alright.
    The 410HLF is NOT meant to be stacked at all with other cabs of the same series.
    IT is a stand alone cab.
    The 1x15 will stack nicely to the 410HE or the 210H
  5. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001

They had them stacked at the store...But I have no idea if they were running both of them. They have that huge ampeg display.

The B2-R head is 350 watts running into 2 cabs, if I understood correctly...Am I getting all 350 from the 410HLF?

What am I to do?

Should I use two 410HLF's?

I have little knowledge on the Ohms and all, I am used to the "plug and play" combo's

I hate to return gear, guitar hates me for it too!
  6. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    wait- to get the full 400 watt capacity, can I run two cables from the head to the cab? There are two inputs on the cab... Will that change anything?

Sorry if I sound stupid
  7. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I wouldn't do that,If everything is correct with the amp,the cables,and the cab,you won't gain a thing.but if one of the cables,for instance is wired incorrectly you could blow your amp's output stage.

If your speaker is a 4 ohm (it is)and the head has a 4 ohm min(it does),you are getting the entire 350 watts already.

I don't know if a bigger cab like a 6x10 or 8 x10 will be louder.maybe someone else here knows.

G.C. probably hates me too,I took back a $2300.00 rig last fall. :)