1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab to go with old Carvin Pro Bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, Oct 9, 2006.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hey guys,

Boy it has been a while since I have been on here. Unemployment is the best cure for G.A.S. Well I am still unemployed but opportunities are beginning to knock so I am poking around here a bit.

I am thinking of buying an old Carvin Pro Bass head from a local guy I know who I have dealt with before. He is a very good guy to deal with, and a pastor to boot so I am worried about ever being ripped off. Anyway, he has this Carvin head that he says works well but he is not sure the specs. He said he thinks it is this one based on appearance. I did a bit of research, as did he, and we determined it could be the PB-150 or the PB-300, both made in the early 80s by Carvin. He thinks it is probably the PB-300 based on the fact that it gets "plenty loud." I don't know what kind of cab he is running it into. He is letting it go for $125 picked up locally which sounds like a pretty good deal. I basically just need a "backup practice head" as my band may be practicing in more than one location shortly. If this is in fact the PB 300, it runs 300 watts at 2 ohms. My question is: what would it run at 4 ohms? And what cab would go well with it? I need something cheap and small...I don't care how old or beat to hell it is. I was thinking maybe an Avatar of some kind. But if I do decide to buy this head I want to make sure to match its impedance to the cab and wattage as closely as possible. Naturally I am not going to buy the head unless the guy can find more info on it for me....but was wondering if any of you have experience with Carvin heads from this era..........

2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hmm...musta hit a sore spot..... a lot of people hate Carvin :/

3. I gigged that exact amp in the 80s!

I either ran it with an EV loaded 4x12 or in a crossover set up with the highs going to a 100 watt power amp and the 4x12 and the internal power going into a Yamaha 1x18" PA sub.

It was actually a killer sounding rig until it got stolen in 88.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I played for a long time a PB500 amp, I think that one came just after the Pro Bass 300, similair with more power. That was one good, good amp, lots of power, loud and good sound. Outshined a lot of newer stuff people pay huge money for. It did die eventually but only after several thousand hours of great sound, played some pretty large dance halls on a regular basis with no PA support and it always got the job done with a 15 and 2-10's.

5. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    It's probably around 150 at 4 ohms. I would run two 4 ohm 1-12" for a 2 ohm load. Avatar is not a bad choice at all. They make a 4ohm 1-12 neo. New, I think its only around $279.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Eh, if I get this head I only want to worry about one cab. Though the setup you describe would be pretty cool. Right now he said he has it running into an old Mesa Diesel 1x15 4 ohm 400 watt cab. Probably underpowered...but I doubt he is cranking it up that high.

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    One of those Neos would probably work fine at 4 ohms. Might be a little underpowered (they are 250 watts). I dunno....he claims the amp is pretty loud.

8. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    I had that amp in the 80s it was the PB 150. I ran Carvin's 2x15 cab at the time. It was plenty loud and competed with the two guitars - we were playing very heavy metal

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I found out my pastor friend is running it into a 4 ohm 400-watt Mesa Diesel 1x15 right now

Assuming the Carvin head only puts out 150-200 watts at 4 ohms, is this underpowering the cab too much..... ? I ask because he is offering up the Diesel for a good price too. How much can one underpower and still be "OK". I'm thinking the Diesel or one of those Avatar neo 112s (4ohms 250watts) would be good.

I underpower my Schroeder 1212 (1000w) with my Eden 800A (800 watts) but the Schroeders are known for their efficency and I have never had a problem.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You can't really underpower a cab, you can play it with 1 watt if you want too, it's the clipping when small amps are turned up too high that damages them, not the lack of power. Anyway, those old Carvins are pretty loud for their rating, there's more to it than just wattage ratings, I used to have a WM4004 that would get blown away by 200-300 watt amps. You can play it through whatever cab you like, a 410 or 212 or 215 for loud situations or a 112 or 115 or 210 for portability.

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Cool. Well he is selling the Mesa Diesel 1x15 for $150 which I think is a good deal. With that and the Carvin head for $125, it sounds like I would have a decent, loud practice rig for only $275. He may even cut me a deal if I buy both, I would imagine.

12. killer practice / backup rig :bassist:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021