Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab to go with Traynor YBA200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey guys, as some of you may know I bought one of the YBA200's with its matching YBX1510 cabinet a few months back. I love the tone but I've been realizing more and more, especially now that I'm finally playing with band, that I have ZERO mids... tons of lows, plenty of highs but no mids and I've narrowed it down to the cabinet because the head sounds good with my Avatar B410 Delta. So I'm wondering what some of you guys might think would be a good cabinet to pair with this head. I need something efficient, something that can handle the low B, basically a 4x10 or 2x10+1x15. Should I go for something flat sounding or something colored? I prefer a very heavy mid and bottom tone, I have my mids and bottom usually higher than my treble with this head. I basically something which will give me a mid heavy tone with a lot of punch and good bottom. Efficiency is key though with this relatively low powered head. Thanks guys, hope this was clear.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like the cab I use... I'm sure at least one or 2 Traynor players have similar.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    So you're saying a Schroeder might be a good bet with this head? I should also clarify I play a Warwick and a Sterling and seek the maximum growl factor.... What do you reccomend?

4. I'm running a Schroeder 1210 with mine and the sound is INCREDIBLE!!!! I couldn't be happier....unless I had two of em :bassist:

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hmmm... I think I may have just emailed you from Harmony Central hahaha. Hopefully you won't get salty :) How would you describe the sound as it relates to my needs? Can the YBA and one of the Schroeder, prolly the 410, pull this off? I mean, I'm almost afraid this thing will have too much low end. I don't want that, I need massive mids and cutting and even sound from string to string. Also, anyone think of any cheaper alternatives?

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    -Bump-
    I'm just interested in hearing what people think.

7. Haven't tried the Traynor, but my Sunn 300t (all tube) sounds incredible through an Aguilar GS212. And it just so happens I have this cab for sale...yes I know, shamless plug :scowl:

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    YBA200 mated with Schroeder 21012 here.

What you said. *Exactly* what you said.

Mid-heavy (properly EQ'd), deep, solid bottom (which seems to "carry" better than other cabs I've used), and excellent sensitivity/efficiency.

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Awesome... I've got to hook one of these up then for sure. Perhaps I can make certain things happen come Christmastime and get my folks to help me out, or else just save until I have the scratch. Luckily I've got my GK/Avatar rig to use for gigs in the meantime, the YBX1510 just flat out doesn't suit my sound which is too bad. Luckily the cab wasn't too expensive :)

10. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't check out a Bergantino NV-series cab. NV-610 or NV-425 would probably work quite well with the YBA-200.

Incidentally, I tried a YBA-200 a couple of weeks ago. I found the same thing with the mids using the matching Yorkville cab. It sounded much better through an Ampeg 810.

11. I own a BergNV610. It's an amazing cabinet and I absolutely love it, however, based upon my experience with it and the YBA200, the Berg and NV combination is not optimal...it's not a good match at all, in my opinion I've also played the YBA through the Berg 425 and 215...not good there, either.

My SVT on the other hand... :)

Anyhow...my point here is simply that the NV line and the Traynor YBA200 don't seem to match well together in my experience. In my experience, tube amps and cabinets can be quite a finicky parternership - some sound great with certain model cabinets, while other similar heads don't match up nearly as well.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey thanks for the xtra info guys, I had thought about the Bergs but dismissed them earlier because I figured they weren't what I was looking for with this particular head, vintage ain't my thang :p But thanks for the good info and the ideas!! I'm going to look into these Schroeder 410 and 21012 and see what happens down that road. But I'd love any more options, I know Schroeders seem to be pretty hot right not which is neither good nor bad for me, just means a lot of people are recommending them. What's cooled off lately that might work for me???

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my response is pretty predictable
    go try out your head with a pair of bag end s15's, one with the coaxial hi end driver and one without :D

14. I'd say go with Eden. A D-215XLT. Best cab ever. Or something like a D-410XLT. Pretty much all of the Eden cabs are great.

15. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I prefer single cabs, tens and I can't imagine where I'd ever find any Bag Ends. 2x15's are just too big for me, I have to be able to fit everything into a Honda Accord which isn't exactly easy considering how Honda designed the entry to the backseat, although I don't believe they had bassists in mind :p I thought Eden cabs focused a lot on lows?

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    um, bag end cabs are made in barrington illinois.............

and i would try em if you can find em. i was predjudiced against 15's till i tried mine

17. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You're ****ting me????? I didn't think anything useful was made in Barrington, IL... geez that's like 20 minutes from my front door. I looked at their website and it didn't list exactly where stores that sell their stuff are. Interesting, perhaps I'll have to make a pilgrimage since I have the day off :bassist:

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I ran a S15 and a S12 stack for a long while.... great stuff. Mids to die for! I was looking for a deeper tone and with a lower center for the mid focus this go around.

I do bet the Deep S15 with the Traynor on it would be a nice rig too.

but my dream rig in the works is...

my current Schroeder 1210 with a "shipping soon" 1212 and "money on it's way out" Peavey Classic 400 (twice the power tubes of the Yorkville). If I got the Traynor (had planned to for a while) I'd get just a 1210. Believe me, the cab is plenty loud on it's own!

19. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I really like big cabs, why I don't know but I do so I'll prolly keep looking into the Schroeder 21012 and 410 simply because I like lots of drivers, much to the chagrine of my family members who have to listen to me thundering away in our basement "testing my sound at higher volumes" hahaha. How much do these Bag Ends cost and what sound qualities do they emphasize?