Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab to handle svt4-pro mono bridge output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hamloaf, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Hamloaf

Hamloaf

Feb 5, 2004
    I was wondering if any of you might have some advice. I have an Ampeg SVT4-Pro head, and I'm looking for a cabinet that can handle the power output of mono-bridging the SVT (1200W @ 8 ohms) but (and here's the kicker) is still in a size that's not going to break my back and fit in my car (ie: the size of a standard 410 would be ideal). I play rock, funk and blues and battle it out with a seven piece band that often plays without a house PA, so I need the volume and low B to cut through. I'm concerned with blowing speakers or distorting out at that much power. The only thing I've seen in the ballpark is the Eden 410-XST at 1000 watts.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance ;)

2. Get yourself an Acme Low B-4. You will have all the slammin' low B you could ever dream of!!! I'm not joking either. I run a Peavey Max pre-amp and a Peavey DPC 1400X (1400 watts @ 4 ohms) bridged into my 4 ohm Low B-4 and I frequently have to cut the bass on my EQ because it's too loud. Check 'em out-

http://www.acmebass.com/

Prices are excellent, customer service is excellent, the product is excellent, and the sound is phenominal! There is a two week trial period as well. My bands music spans many genres and I find that I can get pretty much and sound I want out of this cab and frequently play with no PA support (even out-doors). If you've got the power (which you do) this cabinet is a real winner! Hope this helps.

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    The Bill Dickens Signature 212 will easily handle 1000+ watts at either 4 or 8 Ohms. (built in AccuSwitch allows you to change the impedance)

It’s the size & weight of a small 4x10, but has massive lows. It’s very loud, very efficient, very musical & will not fail. Check them out at: AccuGroove.com

[​IMG]

Mark

4. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've used an Eden 410XLT for about 7 years with my Ampeg SVT-4 Pro. Great combination. I had an Acme for about a week, not the sound for me.

5. Hamloaf

Hamloaf

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Ncognito, do you mono-bridge both power amps into the Eden?

Also, has anyone run into problems with having 1200-1600 W of juice going into something that is rated to handle 900-1000W? Do you just back off the volume/gain?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do all of my research and will have to sell some existing cabs to finance this, so I want to make this right.

6. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Too much power-amp wattage is never a problem. You want lots of headroom. Twice the rated power going to your cabinet is a good rule of thumb, IMHO.

Good luck!

7. Hamloaf-

You'd mentioned that you want good definition on the low B. The Acme Low B-4 I suggested to you is the closest thing (in performance) to the XST you used as a reference. The Low B-4 weighs 78lbs and I can fit it, my 4 space rack, and my bass in the back seat of a Ford Focus. If you've got the $$$ I would seriously consider some of the cabs from Whappo Grande who posted above as well (very sweet stuff!).

In the bass cabinet world it basically comes down to efficeincy. Cabinets that sound "loud" are usually fairly efficeint and don't need a lot of power to achieve a lot of volume. This is usually done by sacrificing some of the low end response of the cabinet by tuning it higher. The Eden XLT that was mentioned follows this methodology and has a pronounced "mid-hump" which characterizes it's sound. This makes for a really "loud" sounding cab but will do very little for making your low notes "stand out" or be loud.

The Acme cabs are well known for being very inefficeint (needing a lot of power to get loud) and going very low. Lower in fact then many 18'' sub-woofers. If you want a cabinet to go low (ie; an inefficeint one) you're going to need a lot of power to get decent volume from the thing. This wouldn't be a problem with your amplifier which is why I think Acme might be a good sollution for your situation.

8. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    To add a technical clarification to the excellent advice:

If your amp is rated at 1200 watts, and you are playing REALLY LOUD, the continuous power output might be around 200 watts, with only very short peaks hitting the maximum 1200 watt level. If your amp has clipping indicators, they will clearly show those peaks. If you do slapping/popping, especially without a limiter, you will hit those peaks more often.

The point is that the only time an amp ever puts out its full rated power is when it is being tested, or if something bad has happened (uncontrolled feedback with volume way up, say). Otherwise, and with actual music being played, the speakers are only receiving a portion of the amp's capability. This is why many TBers (including me) suggest and prefer having power capability two times or more as great as their cabinet's rating. So, in your case, this would mean that a cabinet rated at 600 watts would be fine for use with your SVT.

The other side of this is that speakers are blown far more often by overdriven power amps (putting out heavily clipped signals) than by an excess of clean power. In the dark days of the 70s, when Disco walked the land, the most common cure for clubs that had problems with blowing their dance floor speakers was to install BIGGER power amps. Paradoxical but true.

So, now you have a really wide array of choices. Have fun.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I run a QSC PLX2402 bridged into an Eden D410-XLT (8 ohms). The QSC is rated at 1500W @ 8 ohms, and the Eden is rated to handle 700W continuous power. First off, my rig can get ridiculously loud. But I've never been in a situation where I have to push it. I usually set the gain on the QSC about half way up, and my preamp's master volume is usually between noon and 2 o'clock. What I end up with is loads of headroom, which is sweet. I wouldn't worry about trying to find a cab that is rated to handle 1200W, as you won't be pushing all 1200W into the cab all the time.

10. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA

I thought I said that . . . . . ;)