Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab to match Aguilar DB359?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amicus, Dec 17, 2000.

1. Amicus

Amicus

May 4, 2000
    I'm considering picking up a DB 359. Any recommendations for a cab that would be a good match? I thought the Aguilar GS 210 was an obvious choice but would like to know what else to consider. Thanks.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey Amicus, I own the DB 680 and DB 728 and its hard to go wrong with an Aguilar amp. I tried out the GS 210, and while it did sound good, It was a little "barky" for my taste. I run my Aguilar through an Epifani 2x12 with incredible results. I think the perfect match with the DB 359 would be one or two of the Epifani 1x12's. One for small gigs (though one of these cabs will suprise you) and two for larger gigs. I've also spent some time with the 359 and it confidently filled a 4x10 (eden). Any questions, please e-mail.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Amicus, I demo'd this truly awesome head through the GS 210 and was blown away!

Played a Spector 5 and a Pedulla 6 through it, and the open B was loud and clear.

Plugged the amp into an Eden D210XLT(my previous favorite 2x10) and there was a noticeable drop in volume from the open E to the open B, this was not apparent with the Aguilar cab.

I A/B'd it with various 2x10s, 4x10s and 1x15s, and the only cab they had in stock that was tighter in the low end was an Eden D410XLT.

My only regret was that they didn't have the Aguilar 4x10 in stock to A/B with the Eden.

If I had the budget, based on what I heard, I would get the DB359 with the GS 210 and add another GS 210 down the road for added volume and flexibility.

I like the cab so much, I am considering buying one as an extension cab for the Eden Metro combo that I have in layaway.

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I played the DB359 through Aguilar's 115 and 210 cabs. It sounded very good indeed. Oddly enough, I also did an A/B with the Aguilar 210 and the Eden 210 XLT and the Eden sounded better to me. Much bigger in the lower mids and lows. I was using my rack with Demeter preamp and Stewart power amp.

My favorite cab is still the Eden 410 XLT. Every amp I've tried sounds great with that cab. Now if it was half as big and half as heavy..............

Chuck

5. Amicus

Amicus

May 4, 2000
    Thanks for the repliess. I need to test out some more cabs before I make up my mind. Unfortunately, certain brands can't be found locally. Epifani for example. I'll have to head down to NYC in a couple a weeks and have a field day!

Coyoteboy (or anyone else for that matter), I've tried and really like the DB 359, but I'm wondering what, if anything, I'll be missing by not going all out with the DB 680 and DB 728 (I've never tried them). While the 728 has more power than I anticipate needing anytime soon, if ever, one can never have too much headroom right? Can you compare/contrast the sound put out by the DB 359 with that of the 680/728 combination?
    Thanks,
    CK

6. I use the 359 with two cabs. I use a Hartke 2x15 with Eminece speakers(600watts Rms @4 ohms) and an SWR 2x12 with Black Widows(700w RMS @4ohms). Even with these big cab daisychained to run @ 2 ohm the 359 handles it ridiculously well. I have to actually leave my bass know flat because this amp has A LOT of bass. The only bad thing is that it is 50lbs and has a 19" rack depth which is to big for a regular case to carry it in.

7. basspla915

basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    I run an Aguilar DB 728 with the 680 preamp pushing Aguilar 2x10 and Eden 2x12XLT cabs. Either of those would work with the 359 but the 2x12 might give you the best overall sound. I also run a Euphonic Audio VL208 cab that is amazing for it's size and speakers.

Good luck!