Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab to Match an EA iAmp500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furiously funky, Mar 17, 2005.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    I ve been looking at getting a new small easy to move rig, and im going to play the EA on sat hopefully through a few cabs, i would like maybe a 2x10. I was looking at the markbass traveler, but it doesnt sound like it has it as far as the B string goes, and i dont want to add a 12 or 15 to the 2x10 because then im back with a harder to move rig.
    any ideas or speaker configs would be great. I was thinking about the Accugroove tri10 but its a little expencive here in canada. i was also looking at the portabass 2x10
    throw some ideas at me please!
    thanks
    -marty

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Judging by how far I don't have to turn up my iAmp 800 with a Schroeder 1210, I'd recommend you consider one of those. Seems like the 500 would drive it pretty darn loud, although the cab can handle a good bit more if needed. It's no harder to move than many 2 X 10s, for sure.

Edit: I checked your profile; if you play mainly fretless, and want to eventually use the cab for EUB as well, this goes double.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    got moolah? try an Epifani 2x10UL. run it at 4 ohms, and its as loud as any 2x10 can possibly be. and while apprehensive at first, i found the Low B handling to be mucho nice. my new "little yet powerful" rig.

but dont count out EA's own new 2x10NL. tried one at (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur's place, and WOW, what an incredible sound. low B was more than enough, and the punch was characteristically, transmission lined EA. :cool: and very surprisingly light and easy to schlep. very impressed, and very GAS'ed. ;)

btw,

lemme be the first to say that i'm swearing off 12" cabs. no matter who the brand is, i have yet to find/hear something as punchie as the ol' 10" loaded cab. and with technology racing at the pace it has, the neo loaded speakers make schlepping them a breeze.

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    The problem is some of that stuff can be hard to come by in canada i dont know where id find the EA 2x10
    I was just looking at the accugroove tri112L and its looking good and even available in canada

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    joker...is that true!?!? you're actually ruling out an amplification-related product? Wha' happen'? ;) (Mighty Wind reference...)

Hey... just to pick your brain a wee bit more (dang...that sounds painful...), how would you compare the 'bigness' of sound between the EA and the Epi 210s? Although I believe the EA 210 may only be available in 8-ohms...?

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I know that you say EA gear is hard to come by, but my top two recommendations for cabs to go with the iAMP 500 would be the NL-210, as previously mentioned, and the Wizzy. Two Wizzy's would be killer with the iAMP! I power two with my iAMP 800, and the sound is stunningly good for the size of the rig.

Other cabs that sound good with my iAMP include any Accugroove cab (Tri 210L is great, as is Whappo, Jr.), any Bergantino cab (HT112/EX112 sound really good with iAMP) and any ACME cabs (two Low B-1's or a 4 ohm Low B-2 would be nice). The Hevos Midget also kicks booty, if you can find one.

Tom.

7. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Does the iAmp 800 ever get too powerful for the Wizzys? I've always wondered how, at 250W, they stand up to the power of the iAmp 800. Just a matter of not turning up to high?

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Wizzy's take the power much better than I would have thought, but with an amp as powerful as the iAMP 800, you always have to be careful not to turn up too loud. Used with reasonable prudence, though, you can drive the two Wizzy's with the 800 with confidence that you aren't going to destroy the speakers.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I use a 4 ohm Acme B-2 with my iAmp 500. It doesn't get stupid loud, but it does sound good. I typically punch in Contour 2, and at very low volumes the Deep button (I don't need it when I turn up). Other than that I leave the tone alone. Sometimes I feel guilty for not utilizing all that wonderful tone-shaping capability the EA has, but I guess if it's not broken, I'm not in a hurry to fix it!

I have noticed that when I plug my active bass into the active input, I seem to need to turn my input gain up a lot, like to 2 or 3 o'clock. Anybody else notice this?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    On my iAMP 800, I use the passive input for both my active and passive basses.

Tom.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

yup, who woulda thunk it? ;) i guess once you've gone slam bam punchie, its nearly impossible to go back.

as for the cabs, they're both VERY impressive little boxes...

FYI, just last night, with my Epi 2x10UL + iAMP-800, i rehearsed with a contigent of Rutgers' gospel choir, and had no problem hearing myself clearly and filling the theatre. i was planning on bringing both my 2x10UL pair to combat a loud 1x12 guitar amp, and the heavy left hand of our drummer, but honestly, i think the single 2x10 will do just fine.

as for the EA, i was really surprised at how HUGE the little cab sounded. literally about half the dimensions of the Epifani cab, and could probably fit the trunk of my accord with ease, and yet pushes out lots of sound that just envelopes you. and despite the 45Hz limit, honestly, i couldnt tell. with my Focus 600 and Sadowsky's Low B, there was no shortage of Low B punch.

oh geez, the more i talk about it, the more i'm GAS'ed for it! :meh: