Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cab to match/pair with 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, May 29, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    ok, i know there are many "i have $X, what should i get?" forums. i apologize if there are too many, but what can you do.

i am currently awaiting my tax refund, roughly $400. plus i may have 200 soon to add to it, so total amount 600 at the most! i am looking to get a very effeicient cab that can handle extreme lows, for good low end. i will probably pair it most of the time with an ampeg 8x10, but for smaller gigs i am hoping to use the cab i get alone , as the 8x10 is a monster.

i hear good things about epifani, berg, eden, and all those expensive companies. im not sure if what i want can be bought with the money i have.

i was originally looking to get a 1x15 but the last one i bought wasnt very efficient and couldnt handle my lows at high volumes. i am thinking an 1x18 would be good to pair, but not so good alone.

then i thought of the avatar 2x12, but its tuned to 50 hz, would that kill my low end? a 5 string is 31 hz, plus i drop the B and E for A and D. so im not confident that this cab will do much for me.

i also look at hartke, maybe a 4x10 xl or the 2x10, since their tuning is lower (at least on paper) but would adding a 2x10 make much more low end difference when used with an 8x10?

i cant drive a car (due to bad vision) so trying out cabs is fairly difficult since there are very few local shops, and most dont carry a good variety. so im not sure the difference between a 2x10 and a 2x12, which would be better for my situation? i know 2x12s are more "full range" but i like the growl of 10s even though im going for low end than mid range, which would be more effective in handling low end and efficiency?

i know i may be silly but im hoping to match the efficiency of the ampeg, but more low end. im not sure how to explain it but i know what im aiming for.

sorry for running on, please give your suggestions. my current amp is a Carvin R1000, 350 watts a side 4 ohm or 1000 watts bridged 4 ohm. thanks in advance for any help.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the epifani 212 is a wonderful cab but may be out of your price range.....
    if you have an 8x10 why would you want to pair it with anything unless you are playing stadiums?

3. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    well the 8x10 is my drummers not mine so i cant use it whenever i want. and also at practice i get the volume i need just not the lows, the cab seems to growl when i have some lows but it doesnt have "headroom, the speakers give up before i get my low end. its kind of stressing.

plus i need a cab of my own as well, i just thought i9 would pair it to get a nice tone.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    fender dual 15. Cheap, yet good sound. Nice fat sound.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I like the 2x15 for versatility. Depends really on the sound you are after. The bigger speakers, IMO, deliver a smoother bottom as opposed to say a 410 which has a little more bite.

Mike

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    aguilar 4x12: pair that puppy with the 8x10 and you'd probably have to register it with your local authorities! also you probably wouldn't need the 8x10 either, just a van... a really big van! :eek: :bag:

7. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    i was actually looking for a smaller cab, although i like the idea of that 2x15, it would kill, as well as the aggy, but i really need something smaller, but comparable. i was thinking of getting two hartke 2.5 xl's. both would fit in the back seat or trunk of my girlfriends car, and would be lower than the ampeg, but im still taking it all in as to what i actually want.

my carvin RL115 barely fits in the back of her car as it is, maybe a compact 15 like the bag ends, but thats why i was aiming for the 2x10s or 12s.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I own a SONIC 1-18 cab with an EV 18B. It is very full range and punchy, NO mud! BUT, it is 8 ohms and would be much quieter than the 810. Your 8-10 is 4 ohms. You prolly will need a second amp to add another cab and have more volume. I think if you just add a cab, and are running 2 ohms, well it might be too mushy sounding and not much louder. Sonic 18s RULE!

9. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    if i need another amp the drummer also has a nice ampeg V-9 350 tube watts, needs servicing though

10. Rockbobmel

Are you running the Carvin 1000 now. The Tube V-9 should give you better dynamics. Try using that first. You may not need another cab.

11. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    yes im using the carvin now because i like the tone better and it has more power, needs no tube servicing, and also has biamp capability, which is needed if i want to biamp.

the ampeg is too heavy, 80 lbs, has gone out, blown fuses, and needs new tubes, a couple hundred dollars worth.

i like my carvin, dont take that away from me...

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

13. I personally would vote for some BagEnd 15's. they go real low, but can still pack a bit of a punch! perhaps some 12's would do you just as well. Small, compact, A bit heavy though... Nice sound though, i really love the BagEnd lineup. you could say i'm a BagEnd promoter of sorts... but i love thaeir stuff. Check their stuff out!

Hell, i suggest going down to your local store or two, and just playing through some 15's or 12's, and see what you like!!

~Zentner

14. Rockbobmel

Sorry, I'm not trying, nor could I take away anything from you. Obviously you like the carvin. Carvin also make 2-15s and 18s. You prolly wouldn't like the Sonic 18 then.

15. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    i like the carvin heads but the speakers they use are pretty much useless

16. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    When I need a little more booty, I pair my 810 with... another 810! Two of them stacked on their sides with the old '73 SVT sitting on it's roadcase off to the right is mighty imposing looking. And loud as F*^K.

17. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    that would be nice...