Cab to Pair with Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christopantz, Mar 21, 2017.

1. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi everyone, been a while since my last post.

I'm currently without a bass amp. I sold my Kustom KXB500 head as it just wasn't really the sound I was looking for. I've developed a taste for nice vintage, gritty and tubey stoner rock tones, so I've started looking into picking up a used Ampeg V4B. My only concern my cabinet. I have an Ampeg 410HLF, which I have read does not pair well with the V4B, due to not being super efficient and due to being a bit more modern sounding than I'd probably want with a V4B. I want a cab that will let me be heard over loud drums and guitar with the V4B. I'd love to not pay an arm and a leg. What would you all recommend? I'm just trying to get some fat vintage tones!

Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What's your max budget?

3. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Ideally I'd love to be able to buy something with the money I make from selling my 410HLF, so probably about $400 used.

4. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    I should add, I'd prefer to not have anything heavier than my current 410HLF. It's about 80 pounds and I feel like anything much more would be a dealbreaker. So probably no fridges.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest getting the head and giving your current cab a try. Maybe adding an eq. pedal. See what you get. Might be okay for you. :thumbsup:

6. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Probably a good idea. I tend to get ahead of myself with buying gear.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    The Ampeg head is 24" wide. Your future cab will need to be close to that.

You also might want to try out a Fender Bassman 100T.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Joe Kyle and Moosehead1966 like this.
  8. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Used Ampeg 810 or Mesa Diesel 215.

eff-clef, rodl2005, Joe Kyle and 2 others like this.
  9. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    I said in one of the replies to this post that I really don't want anything heavier than what I have now. That rules out the 810 and probably the 215 as well.

10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've got a 90's 410HLF under my 70's V4B, & it sounds pretty dang great :bassist:

11. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    I'll give it a try then! I suppose I shouldn't rule anything out without trying it first.

HolmeBass, Stumbo and catcauphonic like this.
  12. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    With your limitations on price, weight and ability to handle volume, you don't have many options.
    As far as I see it you can:

1. Look for a different, used 410 cab
    2. Look for (possibly) a pair of used 15s (that way you're not dealing with the weight of a single 215 cabinet)
    3. Try out your current cab before you decide you need a new one

13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, and...
    4th option.

Save up money to buy SVT212AV cab to pair with it.

14. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    212AV seemed like a viable option. Although would that be loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer and guitar?

shadven likes this.
  15. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yea, if you already have it ... why not just plug'r in? At that point you can at least hear & decide what you DON'T like about it, and then it might be easier to get advice about your tonal goals :thumbsup:

kat888 and Stumbo like this.
  16. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Depends on how LOUD you need, I suppose.
    For reference: I play in a band with a hard hitting drummer, two guitarists and a keyboard player all playing 20/30 watt tube amps crunched out. I don't use all my available volume on my V4B, and the 212 holds up well being pushed, IMO.

Only on our biggest stages (500+) or some outdoor festival spots have I felt that I needed more firepower, but that is from a monitoring standpoint where stage volume can get eaten up. I've never felt that way in practice or in reasonably sized clubs.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  17. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Yeah I think inefficient and modern (especially with a tweeter) are two big red flags if you're gonna play loud music with a V-4B. Lack of clean low bass is a weakness with that head, so ideally I'd also look for something that doesn't roll off your low end.

My advice would be what Sartori said: two TL806-design 15s. I use a pair of Joe's 1x15s, but Mesa Diesels or Road Readys, Dietzes, Oranges, etc. will also do the trick. Swapping 3015 Kappalites for the stock EVM-15Ls will get you more bass and smoother treble, which might be a plus here.

Partially blocking the ports will also boost your low end (the charts say it rolls off higher but less steeply, which lets you squeeze more bass out of the speakers, but when I did it the result sounded like a noticeable deep bass boost).

Sartori likes this.
  18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have a pair of the 112AV cabs and run them with my V4. Great pair, loud enough for my gigs with a variety of bands. I've been using other amps mostly but the V4 is great is with the 112/212AV cabs.

kat888 and spaz21387 like this.
  19. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    kat888 and Lvjoebass like this.
  20. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I love my v4b reissue with an 8x10 before ruling it out you should try it

BurnOut, Crusher47, eff-clef and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021