Cab to Pair with Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christopantz, Mar 21, 2017.

1. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    probably doesnt help your question but a V4B over a square back is the best sounding rig ever created IMHO. you can find SVT cabs for local pickup usually 4-5...

Sartori and spaz21387 like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I agree with those who say try the 410hlf with it first.

spaz21387, catcauphonic and rodl2005 like this.
  3. Get 2 :cool:

spaz21387 and ShaneF like this.
  4. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Good idea :cool:

5. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    As much as I'd love to have one, it's just too much considering I'm not playing out all that often.

6. What about a 410he? Seems to fit your size and budget requirements, and would get a very similar vibe to a sealed Ampeg 810. Definitely try it with the 410hlf first though.

Bass 45 likes this.
  7. tbird46553

tbird46553 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    North Central IN
    I'm fortunate enough to have one of the SVT 412's. Rare, and pushing 90 lbs, but oh my what a great compliment for my 70's V4B

8. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    The 610hlf is probably to big and to heavy for what your looking for...that said the v4b sounds killer thru it! I giged with a 410hlf (dark years) for many years it was a great sounding cab. The 610hlf in my book preformed better on all levels other than the small weight increase. The 610hlf has lows, but seems to have a more mid punch and having two more 10s closer to your ears helped me a lot. I've seen used 610's in the $450 range around my area...a steal in my book. The 410hlf is a great cab though, you would be happy for sure.

Sartori and spaz21387 like this.
  9. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Without a doubt. I've used mine with 2 loud guitar players. I have the V4B reissue.

kat888 likes this.
  10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

I have been using my SVT-412HE with a 1973 V4B. This is a 4 Ohm cabinet that puts out the vibe as once, the original V4 vintage cabinets did. The vintage V4 cabinets keep showing up on Craigslist, here in LA. I had a chance to buy one for $200, and passed it up.

I may be selling my SVT-412HE soon here on TB, so stay tuned if interested.

11. The 410HE is an 8 ohm cab. ..so by itself, not a good idea with an SVT-CL

12. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Some 2x15s aren't that heavy.

In the first post you asked what will let you be heard over drums with a V-4B, and not be that expensive. Big cabs is how you accomplish that. Also I prefer rolling around an 810 or 215 to the 410HLF, which is awkward to transport.

13. This isn't exactly your story, but I went from a SVT 410HE to SVT-15E (both with a V4-B). The 410HE was too smooth for me, and the single 15 gave me the bite I wanted. I play with a rock-ish three piece, and I can't get the volume over 10 o'clock without causing an earthquake. Biggest venue I played was about 500 people, and the rig didn't break a sweat. I friggin' love that combo, but that's just me.

TC.65 and Sartori like this.
  14. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Two single 1x15s would be a good match for the V-4B.

morgan138 and TC.65 like this.
  15. Lvjoebass

Lvjoebass In Memoriam

Jan 19, 2017
    The 2-12 probly what u describe what u want, what sir Paul used a lot

christopantz likes this.
  16. The V4b will do 8-ohms, no?

17. OP, if you like your SVT-410HLF, you'll like it with your V4B. If there's something you want to change, you've got eq options on the amp and if those don't get it done, get an EQ pedal.

I'm not clear if your getting the current production re-issue, a 70's model, or the mid-nineties model. The originals are 27" wide, is the thing.

christopantz likes this.
  18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yep

19. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm not sure which model I'll get. Whichever I can get a good deal on I suppose. Do you have any suggestions?

20. I have my reasons I like the originals but the re-ish is great too. You will not likely come across the 90's version.

If you score an origial V4B you may have issue with the width. Here's a thread with discussion of the various Ampeg cabinets that are wide enough:

Ampeg cabinets that fit under the original V4B head: the definitive guide

christopantz likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021