Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab tone...2 Aguilar GS112's or a single GS212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Dec 27, 2002.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I've made my choice to go with Aguilar 12" cabs. I LOVE 'EM!
    But...my issue is volume. I'm thinking a GS112 isn't going to be enough for more than a small practice or VERY small rock gig. But, it has the price, portability and tone I like...bullocks.

In terms of volume...I've gigged weekly for awhile with a GK 700rb 210 that I felt barely got by and ended up farting out a lot.

Ideally the GS212 would be great...but it's probably bigger than I want to deal with and I don't have gigs lined up right now. So...after all this drivle...am I going to get a huge tonal difference between a 2x12 box versus 2 1x12 boxes? Is the 2x12 box going to sound THAT much deepr?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm thinking for sure that bassmonkeee and dave siff did a comparo between a 212 and a 112...

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    heh, i knew i wasn't dumb....here ya go....search rules: shootout

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    rontalsaurus,

I'm picking up my second GS112 tomorrow. I also have a GS410 and a GS210...I dig Aguilar :D .

What are you going to power the cab(s) with? In either case you'll be running a 4 ohm load, but with the two 112's you'll have an extra tweeter. They can be attenuated so you can eliminate a tweeter if you wish, run them both full out, or adjust each to your liking. Having the two smaller cabs will actually be easier on your back, allow for easier transport and load-in, and have a smaller footprint on stage if you stack them.

My Aguilar DB750 (lots of power) and a single GS112 is very loud. I expect the two cabs to be more than loud enough for all but the biggest of gigs. I'll let you know soon. ;)

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Just checked the aguilar site. The GS212 is available either in 4 or 8 ohms, so if you're going for a single cab, make sure it's 4 ohms. Two GS112's will also be more expensive than a single GS212 by about $175.

6. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Well. I picked up a GS112 for a trial period (30 day return policy). The 212 is probably more cab than my lifestyle (moving around A LOT) can deal with. Worse comes to worse and I'll get another 112 (likely). It's nice having a small gig practice rig though that I can thorw like a shot put if necessary (not likely).

I'm powering it with a PRE-WASHBURN Eden WT400 (I had to say it). Running two of the 112's at 8ohms each should provide enough power for anything I will deal with. Despite my gear lust, I still suck eggs...just have fancy taste and an ear for good tone. The only good hobbies are the really really expensive ones :D

How do you like the sound of the two cabs stacked? One tweeter attenuated?

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I just brought my second GS112 back to its new home :D . The DB750 with the two cabs stacked...in a word...kills.

I haven't pushed them hard yet (waiting for the biz downstairs from my apt. to close, just bought a house, can't wait to move :cool: ) but even at a fairly low volume they sound sweeter than sweet.

I've actually got both tweeters opened all the way, which I'm diggin' so far. Of course I'll be experimenting both here and on the gig.

I still prefer the overall tone of my 210/410 full rig, but that setup is ridiculous for the smaller gigs.

I just might have all the gear (aside from basses) now that I'll ever need.

....yeah right. :rolleyes:

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I talked to Dave about that very question - his response was that 2 112's will be deeper and bassier than a single 212 because they tuned the 212 a touch higher at the request of Gary Willis.

I personally went 2 x 112 for the flexibiliy. One 112 with an acoustic image clarus is amazing for small jazz & musical theater gigs - 2 112's with my 680/728 is plenty for most clubs.

The 12's are most definitely not as clear and tight as 10's though...

Craig -- how does the 410 sound compared to most? i'm kinda thinking about one for those times I want a tighter sound... is the 210 deep enough?

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    vanselus,

The very best overall tone I get is when I use my 210 with the 410. The 4 ohm load gets the most (or the least most, if you can dig it*) out of the DB750, and multiple 10s is "where it's at", IMO.

The 410 by itself is cool, but at just 8 ohms isn't getting the most out of the DB750. I prefer the 2 112s @ 4 ohms, easier to transport than the 410 and way louder.

Of course, the 410 can be had at 4 ohms, but I opted for the 8 ohm cab for combining with the 210.

* - of course , the most most would be two 4 ohm 410 cabs, or two 4 ohm 212 cabs, getting 975 watts out of the DB750 @ 2 ohms...but that would probably render me sterile (and deaf) after a coupla gigs :eek: .

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    ... and isn't sterility a price we're ALL willing to pay for the perfect tone? :eek:

How does the tone differ when using the 2 112 cabs versus the 410?

You say 210/410 is the ultimate - why? Just because of the 4 ohm load is pushing the amp harder, or due to the actual 10 vs 12 phenom?

thanks!

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I've only used the 410 alone once on a gig, so I don't recall enough to compare to the two 112s accurately. Certainly the ohm rating (I have an 8 ohm 410) of the two cabs gets more volume from my amp.

As for the 210/410...I think multiple 10s cover the full sound spectrum better than 12s...and I don't like 15s at all.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
  13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol, is that what we're saying now?

hehe, at least, now i got an angle on auctioning mine. ;)

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    does it get any sweeter? :p

[​IMG]

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    bastard.

:eek:

i'm so jealous

Didn't you used to have the DB359? How does it sound different than the DB750?

and have you ever owned the 680/728 combo?

16. Actually that's a pic from the now-legendary 2 1x12s vs. 1 2x12 shootout. My rig is on the right -- the SM-900 with the 2x10 and 2x12. Delicious, if I do say so myself. On the left is bassmonkeee's former rig. He got rid of the DB750 in favor of a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout. Way lighter and still plenty loud. I've heard him on a gig with the Walkabout and a 1x12 and it sounds incredible.