cab trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bbecl, Dec 13, 2002.

1. bbecl

Dec 13, 2002
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I just got an eden wt 300, and its output is 4 ohms. I have an 8 ohm trace elliot cab. Someone told me that i can run a 4 ohm load into an 8 ohm cab, but i cant do it the other way around. Is this true? Will there be any notable difference in my sound?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can't "run a load through a cab".
    A cab represents a certain load for an amp.

The Eden can handle cabs with a minimum total speaker impedance of 4 Ohm.
    Higher impedances are ok, lower than 4 ohm are not.
  3. Like JMX says. The 4 ohm min on your amp head means that you can't use a cabinet with an ohm rating lower than 4 ohms. Going higher is just fine. The way it usually works is each time you add a cabinet to you total the ohms go lower. 2, 8 ohm cabinets have a combined ohms of (4). 2, 4 ohm cabinets have a combined load of (2) (no,no). There are wiring tricks you can do to get the load back up to 4 or higher , but for now just keep the load at 4 or above and you'll be fine. Good Luck
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I have a WT 300 also. And, as the others have said, if you play with one cab be sure it is not rated below 4 ohms (hard to find). If you play with two cabs be sure they are both 8 ohms. When run together, you'll have a 4 ohm load. Just keep your total load 4 ohms or higher and you'll be all right. One 8 ohm cab is fine.