Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab types

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 28, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    In my hunt for a new, proper rig, i have become confused about cabs. i am looking to pick up one 8 ohm for now, and was wondering which types to look at? I am on a budget, so as low as i can go is nice, and from there i need to know what type. From what ive gathered so far, ranging from a 1x15 to a whatever, the 1x15 is more for the low end while the more, smaller speaker cabs are better at mids and highs. Is this right?

I am looking for a good budget cab that is more about mids and highs than lows (i can always add on another 8 ohm later). I will be playing mainly rock and metal. what type should i be considering?

Oh, and i searched, and found nothing, so i am posting

Thanks!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try Avatar or Dr. Bass cabs. www.avararspeakers.com I dunno the Dr. Bass site. Sounds like you would want either a 212 or 410.

3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    what's your budget? $250? $500? do you need an amp as well? would a combo work for you? do you play in a band? this will help people to make effective recommendations.

I played through a peavey TKO 115 combo amp that seemed like a pretty nice budget rig. there's probably used ones out there too.

I have an avatar 112 cab that's very loud and sounds good there. that would be my budget cab recommendation.

good luck

Chad

4. for rock i would prefer 12"s and for metal defenatley 10"s.. i like the increased attack you get from most 10"s.. but it wery different depending on the cab in question.. personaly i would never buy a cab whith speakers larger than 12".. all 15"s ive tried have been to boomy and undefined..

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    -looking into a band, so something loud enough for gigs
    -as inexpensive as possible without getting a P.O.S
    -dont want a combo, am probably getting the behringer BX3000 or 4500 head

sounds like either a 4x10 or a 2x12 is for me, whats the difference between the two?

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    bumpity bump

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I would suggest going to www.avatarspeakers.com and getting a 212 from dave.

The 212 is more of an "all around" cab. It has the highs of the 10's but still retains the lows of the 15's.

Also, look into the heads Dave sells along with his bass cabs. IMO they are much better quality then anything behringer makes.