1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cab vibration dangerous to tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Hey all,

I'm still getting use to my first tube amp, and i get to try it out in public for the first time, tomorrow!!

I have been using my new-to-me Traynor YBA-3 with my Ampeg 2x15... However, the venue tomorrow doesn't require a cab that size. So, i usually use my Peavey 1x15.

Now, the Traynor is ridiculously long, and sits on my Peavey looking sort of like a 'T'.

Will this cause harm to the amp, specifically the tubes, if the head is in such direct contact with the cab? If not, i'm guessing laying the cab sideways won't do much to the over all tone...

Thanks!

2. Tubes don't like being vibrated a whole lot. Tends to shorten life. The YBA-3 IIRC as a former owner had pretty good feet which probably provide enough isolation. Without benefit of feet on single 15 cab there will be way more vibration, but not instant death. Some people I remember just putting the head on the floor to benefit from the feet. Those are lovely amps. Keep your guitar player away from it or he will steal it and be raving about Marshall Plexi, Hiwatt, and making ears bleed on a budget.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Get a pad of foam to sit the amp on. About an inch thick should be fine, more if it makes you feel better.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I keep a set of these in my gig bag; they work very well, and take up very little space:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25233&filter=bench cookies

...and, when I tilt a cabinet back at an angle, the Bench Cookies grip better than standard rubber feet, holding the amp in place and preventing it from sliding off of the cabinet.

5. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Right...

Over the years I've asked this same question to every amp tech I've run across.

Most say it's a good idea to add some foam padding between the head and the cab if I want to, but they also say it's not 100% necessary.

The little rubber feet on the amp are supposed to have some damping effect, but in your case, you could add foam if it made you feel better.

I used to use foam for a while, but it became a nuisance during quick setups / tear downs, so I stopped doing it.

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    A well built cab shouldn't vibrate.

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Never had a problem with the YBA-3, with no special coddling.

8. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    I use a piece of chipboard (a nice piece ;)

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Tubes are not as fragile as people seem to think. Remember all the tubes that went to war in aircraft of every description. The Soviet MIG29 has tubes in its avionics.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    you read my mind.

11. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Scope out some military spec/surplus tubes/valves as they are deigned to be durable. Modern cheapies, not so much.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Dang!! I though all these good ideas were mine!!! :D

13. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Lol! :rolleyes:

14. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Matey, we are talking about Speaker enclosures that are meant to amplify bass guitars.... "well built" is rarely actually in the equation. ;)

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The Soviets severely lagged in semiconductor manufacturing.

The tubes were no where near that of MI amplifiers.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

While I agree somewhat with your post, more and more Soviet avionic tubes are making the switch into audio amplifiers. There are some we haven't even seen yet that may well be candidates for MI amps.

17. Thanks for the advice guys!!

I did a lotta testing last night, and cranked my lil' 1x15 with my Traynor. I cannot believe how loud that thing got. I knocked over some condiment stuff just because it was so loud! (cleaning up spilled honey is the WORST)

If i lay the cab on it's side, it works absoloutly fine. I was dumb to think the added 4 to 5 inches in height lost by putting it on it's side would be a bad idea.

Stoked to play my first tube amp in public tonight!!! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Gig report?..

19. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I pretty much judge cabs on tapping them and having a hand on them making noise to see if they flex. One that have done well are Aguilar, Tecamp and Barefaced.

Red Bear amps used some funny Russian tubes I think.

20. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    DAR Amplifiers use massive 6C33 power tubes designed to dissipate EMP charges from a nuclear explosion!

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021