Cab Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kennyhoe, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Can someone please explain to me why same sized cabs have such a large power difference (e.g. a 410 cab can go from 200w RMS to 500+wRMS) thx
    i ask because i am currently looking for a cab right now, and if i see a 2x10 with the same power as a 4x10, then i'll probably go for the 2x10 instead
  2. Generally speaking, higher quality loudspeaker drivers have higher power ratings. It can be because of better cooling, magnet vent, larger voice coil, high temp resistant materials etc. etc.

But it gets tricky: don't confuse music or peak or program power rating with continuous power (mostly called RMS). Continuous or RMS power is the only valid way to compare cabs.

Hope this helps.
  3. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    ...keep in mind a 4x10 is going to move twice the air a 2x10 will! Moving more air means more volume.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In my experience, the guy that buys the 200w 4x10 usually ends up having to upgrade it in the not-too-distant future. The guy that buys the 500w cab owns it for years and years and works out cheaper in the long run.

But power rating isn't everything, it's only one of the many aspects to consider when choosing a cab.
  5. you could always buy one 2x10cab @ 8ohms to start out and then add another one for larger gigs and you will run 4ohms total with both means more wattage. and you are moving twice as much air.
  6. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That depends ENTIRELY on the efficiency of the speakers.

You'll find that an Eden or SWR 2x10, fed the same wattage, is quite a bit louder than an Acme 4x10. Not to say that the Acme is by any means a bad cabinet, but it is built for deep tone, not peak volume.