1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cab with lower watt rating than amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sammyp, Aug 27, 2012.

1. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Hey guys, there's an eden cab on sale locally for $100 ....i don't have a cab yet for my Warwick pro fet ....the amp is 500 watt and the rating on the Eden cab is 300 watts? is it just a bad idea? what can happen?

i guess i'd run the risk of blowing speakers?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You run to risk of blowing any speakers with any amp. Just be smart and keep the volume knob in check. If it sounds like you're hurting it, you probably are.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's in the "AMPS FAQ" thread above

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't forget about EQ as well, you can blow speakers on a relatively quiet volume depending on hard you are pushing them.

5. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Im running a GenzBenz GBE 750 (600 watt at 8ohms) thru Mesa/Boogie Diesel 2x10 rated at 300 watts, it sounds fantastic and is giving me the volume i need without driving it too much. Be carefull not to drive it to much and you should be fine, youll start to hear when the speakers are bieng driven too hard, stay away from that threshhold, if you get to that point back off ASAP.