Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabinet and head relations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Hey guys, just wondering about this - If a cabinet is a defining feature in the sound being played. I mean, would an ampeg head with an ampeg cabinet be the same sound as the same ampeg head (same settings and everything) combined with a different brand of cabinet (Assuming the cabinets are both the same type, 4x10 for example)? And if the cabinet does make a difference to the sound, how much of a difference is it?

2. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    Depends on the cabinet. Yes, it makes a difference, in both relative volume and tone. But it's up to you to decide what you like, and whether a particular cabinet will match up with your head or not.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can confirm that the cabinet makes a huge difference. My head (Eden WT300) is quite light and I take it with me to rehearsals and the place(s) where we rehearse have cabinets there,so there seems no point in taking one of those as well. Now playing my head through my own Euphonic Audio cab the sound is wonderful - hi-fi clarity and every nuance of the bass sound is captured from highs through to lows.

But when I use the cabs in the rehearsal room(s) with the exact same amp & bass - the sound can often be dreadful - like "wet cardboard" - no definition, sludgy etc. You get the idea!!! But at least I don't have to carry a cab up or down flights of stairs. ;)

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    No.