Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Bracing Sealing and 10" Speaker Spacing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roundwound, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I'm constructing a 2x10 cabinet right now and am ready to prepare the baffle. Before I make any cutouts, it better to place the speakers as close to each other on the baffle for the best "sonic" effect?

On another note, is it okay to use regular household caulk to seal any small gaps between the bracing pieces and cab shell? If not, what should I use?

Thanks for any help!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Make sure the drivers are vertically aligned, space them tight, do not center them on the baffle, but offset them to one side an inch or two. Glue all joints with a urethane base construction adhesive, such as PL Pro, it expands as it cures to fill all gaps and caulking isn't necessary.

3. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks, Bill. I'll see if have enough room to offset them like that. My original plan was to have them in a horizontal centered alignment, but I'm game to mix things up a bit for better results.

As a matter of fact I do have a construction adhesive that does expand (Glue Screws). I'll check to see if it has a urethane base.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's a blueprint for how not to build a speaker cabinet. Rotate the box if you have to, but don't have the drivers horizontally aligned.

5. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I won't be able to go totally vertical on my speakers since I already cut the holes for the side handles and the baffle only goes 18 1/2" high (22 1/4" wide). There's enough room to get them more vertically aligned than horizontal, however. I'll get as close as possible.

Thanks for the help!

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Pics? We need mor epics of the TB DIY projects.

7. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I recently lost my digital camera, but will either borrow or buy one so I can at least get some pics of the inside before adding the baffle, covering, and other hardware...It's all coming soon hopefully :)