Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Builder Alternative = Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have extremely high recommendations for Low Down Sound's cabinet builder Don. He spent a tremendous amount of time with me working through what I was looking for and the alternatives.

What I ended up with is a pair of 2x8's at 4 ohms, one with a tweeter upgrade and one without. The cabinets are built solid and flawlessly. They're punchy yet project an unbelievable amount of bottom end for such a small footprint.

For my needs, playing in an 8 piece horn band at medium sized rooms (seating 150 +-), there's nothing that it can't handle. The upgraded tweeter is sweet sounding not brittle and gives the cabs just that pinch of extra clarity I need to play finger style yet isn't abrasive when I occasionally pop the g string.

Together they handle the low b very well.

Now for the good news for us old farts...these cabs weigh in at a total of under 65 pounds for the both of 'em together. They're extremely portable. Here's more good news....they're a fairly cheap date. I got them delivered for under $700.00 delivered...with the upgrade. I think the base price would have been around $600+ delivery. He used Eminence (I think) long throw woofers in this cab but can get you Neo's, "normal" ceramic mag speakers or whatever ohmage and wattage you want. The one without the tweeter is excellent for my Rob Allen fretless 5(probably for you upright doublers too).

They remind me soundwise of the Aguilar 112 I used to own but with a little quicker response. They're smooth and punchy, I feel they're slightly scooped mids wise and need a slight boost of my mid preamp on the bass to make it happen best for me.

For the person that wanted a rectangular 212 cab, maybe you should be calling Don at LowDownSound for a price?

THANKS FOR LISTENING.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Thanks Larry for the review!

I've been considering the 2x8 speakers from Low Down Sound for a while, but I was wondering what they would be like. Are they available in 8 Ohm yet?

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Cool Review! I'm thinking of having Low Down Sound making for me a replica of a Hiwatt SE320 with eminence deltalites:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beastly cab eh? :bassist: :cool:

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks for the review! What is the wattage rating of these cabs. Dimensions? Pics???

6. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    They're 350 watt cabinets. They weren't available as 8 ohm cabs, which considering my head puts out 1200 at 2 ohms, is fine that they're 4 ohmers.

Dimensions, were talking 20" wide, 16" deep, and 11 1/2" tall. So two cabinets stacked are a 20x16x 23 cube. The one with the tweeter weighs around 34 pounds and the one without is around 31. I don't have easy access any more to digital picture taking having recently moved into an apartment, so sorry...I'll try to get something posted over the next couple of weeks. I opted for the furry black tolex, with interlocking corners. The grill is metal with the round holes and is very securely anchored to the cabs. There's not rattles, squeaks, or any sign of shotty work. The jackplate has both an xlr and 1/4" inputs + a fully variable attenuator.

They're rear vented which helps keep them small and the weight down. I used one of them (the second one just got here a week ago) with the tweeter in tandem with my Epifani 212 in a huge room on New Year's (500 people showed up)...it was awesome, the 208 added a really nice focus and did a better job of hitting the dancefloor with a well formed wave where the Epifani added more of the fullness and pushed my bottom end all the way to the back wall 150 feet away.

Here's a question for you....if you run 3 4ohm speaker cabs in parallel, what's the ohmage load?

If you run a single 2 ohm cab with a 4 ohm, are you lower than 2 ohms or is it 3.0+?

Help anyone on this one.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    1. 1.6666667 ohms
    2. Lower than 2 ohms.

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    That's the only thing keeping me from taking a chance on these cabs. If they were available as 350-watt 8-ohm cabs, I'd be all over it. As they are, I think they'd make a poor match for my power amp...

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Larry:

Glad to hear that you had a good experience with Low Down Sound. Guess I steered you in the right direction, eh? ;)

I was very impressed with their custom cabs when I was up there. Their 1x12's were very nice, especially the coaxial one (though it didn't have very high power handling capabilities), and Don makes a 1x15 that is probably the best I have heard. He didn't have any 8" equipped speakers in stock when I was there, but I'd love to hear them. He did take me back into his shop, and I saw a 1x12 in the process of being built. I am not surprised at all that there are no rattles or squeaks, as Don builds a very solid cab, and they are air-tight to boot (except for the ports, of course). I really do need to get back up there. Low Down Sound is a class operation.

Larry, I REALLY have to check you guys out in the Cleveland area now! I'd love to hear your LDS 2x8's!

Tom.

10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for hookin' me up to LDS.

I'm liking the 2x8's more and more as I get the nerve to turn 'em up in my apartment!!! It's too bad I don't have a live venue for a few weeks. I'm now trying to see if I can get a lightweight stereo or mono head, like under 20 pounds, that has at least 600 watts or more, 300 a side or more, or a mono head that can do a 2 ohm load, to power these puppies. I know there's several including a new Eden model 550, but I don't like the Eden/SWR sound at all. I don't know how a iamp 800 would sound. My Sunn 1200S is the closest I've been able to come without adding my 31 band eq...but it still needs it (or..rather...I'm dependent on it). It has plenty of power and some really nice features with the compression high and low, balance, overdrive, 10 band? eq, etc., but it still weighs a ton, I believe around 35 or so pounds. I'm trying to get the whole rig under 80 pounds, head, and speakers. that leaves me with about 15 to 20 pounds (OK....I'll go over a couple of pounds) for a head + carrying case.

I do have a question for you....where are you able to use all that EA stuff you bought? Are you playin' somewhere we can come and hear you?

I'll let you know where we're gigging, but there mostly on the east side of Cleveland. If you're gonna be in town sometime, let me know...

Larry

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Larry:

The only time that I was able to use all of the cabs in my avatar was at an outdoor gig, and it was done very tongue in cheeck, as my buds give me a hard time about all of my cabs, so kept threatening to bring the lot of them. :bassist:

Generally, I try to fit the cab(s) to the venue. If I know that I am going to be kicking some pretty high volumes, I'll bring the two VL-210B's, or just the Cx-310. If I am playing without PA support, I will bring a few more cabs. If I am only shooting for moderate stage volume, or if I know I won't be pushing my rig very hard at all, I'll bring either three VL-208's, or a VL-208/VL-110 combo. Sometimes, I mix and match with my Epifani cabs. Sometimes, I go all Epifani (two T-112's, T-110UL). Now that I have a Whappo, Jr., I need to figure things out all over again! If you haven't guessed, I do have issues!

At our last gig, our sound man cancelled at the last minute and I realized how great EA cabs are at PA use. ;) I may some day relegate them mostly to PA or monitor use, especially if the Whappo, Jr. pans out.

Head-wise, I would think that your choice (as for many of us) will ultimately boil down to an iAMP 800 or a Walter Woods Ultra, from what you describe.

Later, Tom.

P.S.
    I'm playing in Fremont this weekend, and I will let you know when I make it to the in-laws in Lyndhurst.