cabinet builders: what would you do with an 18?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Jul 21, 2004.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    What can you do with an 18 that you can't do with a lesser diameter driver? I've thought about a combo 18 and 2x10 in roughly a 32"-36" (~ 6x10) height. I'm not thinking of a sub so much as just finding out the tonal differences of an 18.

Any good styles of cabinets for an 18? Maybe a short throw like those Schroeder cabs? Ideas?
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    So you're thinking of running the 18 full-range? I don't think that'll work out too well... There's a good chance it might sound like mud. :(

I would split the 2x10 and 18 into two separate cabinets, and if possible, biamp them... If you do decide to put both the 2x10 and 18 in the same cabinet, though, I would suggest keeping the 2x10 and 18 in separate tuned compartments within the cabinet.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's possible to find a passive crossover with a crossover frequency low enough to eliminate some of the 18's muddiness.
  3. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It'll certainly make a great ash tray. :D
  4. Peavey had, and possibly still makes just that same cab.

Back in the 70's, it was dubbed the 1820. Later, dubbed the 1810.

I used mine for 12+ years. It is now in my basement collecting dust. You wanna buy it?

5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i used to have a Crate cab with an 18" and two 10" in it. But it was a Crate...
  6. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh yes, definitely seperate chambers.. (I shouldn't have assumed that )..

Would the 2 compliment each other?
  7. Yes they do, if the 10's can handle the low-mids you throw at it, the crossover point should be well selected...

the only thing with 18's, at least the few I've tried isn't that they're necessarily slow, but they bloom so far away from you, you'd have a tendency to turn up too much, and blow the scalps off the people in front of the stage...
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Peavey and Fender both made 18x210 cabs. I've sued both. Both had seperate chambers, passive crossovers, and either full range or 18 and 210 inputs. I ran them biamped with a furman preamp and a crown poweramp, and liked it pretty well. Much like moving an svt 810 cab or a refrigerator though...
  9. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    First thing, you must have the Thiele-Small parameters for your drivers - the 18 AND the 10's - in order to design a cabinet for them that performs properly.

I suppose you could do it by trial and error, but you're going to need lots of time, and lots of wood. If you choose to wing it, use MDF for experimenting. It makes a good solid cab and it's cheap, but it weighs a ton so you'll want to build your final cab out of high quality plywood.

If the T-S parameters indicate that the drivers would do well in a small cabinet, you could consider making something very compact like the Schroeder's, but there's not a whole lot of drivers that are designed that way, so I wouldn't plan on it. Most 18's need a cab that's at least fairly big by most standards, 3 or 4 cubic feet minimum, usually 5 or 6. I am talking about musical instrument/ pro sound speakers, not car or home audio.

And you can make a passive low pass filter for your sub, but it ain't real cheap......probably $50 or so for the components, if you use high quality stuff.
  10. The 18" won't do it in a short throw design. The angled 12" in the Schroeder 21012 already goes almost as low as a regular 18" without losing any punch and clarity.

11. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Here's what i did... i had a 20 yr old pv black widow 18 lying around so i ordered an empty B115 from Dave at Avatar for like $150 and recut the hole to 18. Heres a pic of the cab alone:[​IMG]
    I usually dont use it as a stand alone but underneath B210. With my BBE, QSC 1602 rack it sounds killer.
  12. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    that would be soooo heavy :(
  13. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Its not too bad... about 55lbs. Although Ill take my Aggie 112's anywhere I can get away with em, which is almost everywhere i play.
  14. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    nah, i meant the combined 18 and 210 would be super super heavy wouldnt it? 100 lbs +?
  15. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    yea .. thats about right... with the rack its about 140.
  16. The Eminence Magnum 18LF and 18HO will do the job. Pair it with two B102 10" and you've got a great bi-amp, rig good to about 7,000 Hz without PA support.

Answering the original question, if lesser drivers could do the trick, then all the high powered PA subs would be 10s or 12s.

As for throw, directional characteristics are directly related to the diameter of the radiator relative to wavelength. PA subs are stacked in vertical arrays to increase the apparent (coupled) radiating diameter and directional characteristics.
  17. I have just made a 1x18 that runs full range under a 2x12 + horn.
    Sounds good and moves lots of air....

Best resource is

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the nice man at swr told me a long time ago that they prefer the sound of an 18 and a 410 run full range rather than biamped
    some 18's sound god awful, others sound pretty darned good
    i heard a bagend 18 (the big cabinet version) and was floored by how articulate the darn thig was - go figure
  19. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Lots of good info & ideas all.. thanks!

I know ultimately it depends on T/S for a particular driver, but how do 18s do in sealed enclosures (assuming the right qts)? The last cabinet I built (2 10s and 4 12s) was a sealed design and I like that clear/more focused sound much more than a ported cabinet.

I know I'm going to build another fridge sized cabinet (ideally the same shape/size as my last one if I can work the #s right), I know it'll have an 18 in it, just not sure about the rest.

( Yes, I build more cabs than I actually need/use ;-) )
  20. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Well, you could try a Whappo'esque type design. Rather than using 2 10" speakers, you could try replacing them with 1 12" subwoofer and 1 6" driver. The 12" would do the very low mids better than the 10" can, and the 6" would fill in for the upper mids. It may be a bit lighter and easier to design as well, but it'd require a bit more work in the crossover department.