Cabinet Building- Double Thick Baffle or Not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Dec 5, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I was considering a bracing issue.

I believe several manufacturers use double-thickness of material on the baffle board up front. Realizing of course that the walls can't be too thick ....

Is this done to make it solid because much of it is routed out and it's pretty to mout the driver flush?

Or is this done because this piece surrounding the drivers is taking a more serious pounding in operation?

Or is this done because you need a very thick piece of stock to hang a 30# driver from?

I'm hoping to build some light but otherwise unremarkable boxen shortly, and was curious if I needed some additional strength up front. Opinions welcome!
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I've never heard of any MI speakers built this way (not that it doesn't happen).

From what I've learned hi-fi speaker designers (sometimes) do this for a couple reasons:

1. reduce resonances in the baffle

2. Provide enough thickness for sufficiently rounded edges and other contours to reduce diffraction.

I think 3/4" plywood is strong enough for a 30 lb driver, no problem.

I guess if the driver is almost the same size as the baffle, it might be a good idea to use double thickness.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    In a cabinet I recently built, I glued a square piece of plywood in the area where the speaker is mounted so that it is double thickness just in the area of the speaker. It was a 24" wide cabinet (internal size) for an 18" speaker, so I used a 24" square piece of plywood. I cut the holes for the speaker *before* gluing it up - that way I could make the hole in the rear piece a little smaller than in the hole in the front baffle, which made for a very nice beefy mounting area. I just dont like having the screw holes for the speaker so close to the edge of the wood. This way there's plenty of wood were it needs to be without adding quite so much weight.