Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet building question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Feb 11, 2006.

1. First. I know that here have been threads on cab building before. If I need to search I will of course but one of you may know of a particular thread I should reference and if so please direct me or suggest some keywords.

Now, I do not mean for this to get super technical so do not feel compelled to go overboard.

My questions are pretty basic I think.

One. Let's say I want to build a cab to contain one 10" bass speaker. Is there an understood optimal size for this?

Does the shape affect anything?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There is an optimal size for every individual driver (and there are hundreds) and the shape does matter, though not so much with a single driver box. Don't even think about building your own prior to reading a book on the subject, there's a lot more to it than putting a driver into a box.

3. If you want to roll the dice I would say that any cab with an internal volume of .8 to 1.2 cu.ft. would get you in the ballpark for many pro sound bass drivers. Assuming that you aren't looking for ear bleeding levels with a single ten I don't think that you would need to get very technical to get good results (at least not so bad that you would want to throw it away).

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN! :bag:

4. Have you read a book on the subject? Otherwise you risk opening an unstable wormhole to the Negative Zone. It has happened before! Remember Atlantis? And amidst the ruins of Pompeii was found a fossilized Ampeg cab with what appears to be the scorched frame of an early Eminence speaker.

5. Trust me fellas, I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel or one up anyone in cab design. And no I do not expect loud.

I do not have "a better idea" for a cab.

MuzikMan, I took the amp out of an old B100 I have and wired in a 1952 VM tube amp. Sucker puts out 8 (just eight) watts and sounds phenomenal. So I was thinking of converting the B100 combo into a 10" extension cab.

Doing that looks like it will bring the cab volume (as in cubic ft.) closer to your spec. Which "should" make it even better maybe.

I am hoping to utilize the leftover amp as a recording pre.

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Since your cab is already built you could download WINisd and model your cab in the program and see how it would respond with different drivers. Search this forum for winisd and you'll get a lot of info.

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  8. Moo, thanks for the info & link.

That was an interesting read and nice to see your project worked out so well.

9. I am guilty of thinking it would be easy to get good results. I know that's naive.

But in this case I'm not setting the bar to high. As a combo amp, it sounds OK. I'm hoping to convert it into a strict extension cab without mucking it up. Apparently, the conversion I do will increase the volume of the cab to where it "should" be.

BTW, does it have to be ported??

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Not necessarily, but that's a function of the box size and driver specs.

11. Thanks.

That's good to know because my favorite cabs are not ported.

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't be, just that they don't have to be. The vast majority of drivers are engineered to work best when in a ported box. Most of those which are intended for sealed boxes either require a rather large box to deliver good bass response or they aren't intended to deliver good bass response to begin with. There are some that will operate relatively equally well either way, but they are rare.

13. Ok. And in its current configuration there is a port. If I move forward with this mod I'll try sans port first but I will keep in mind that I will probably need to port it later.

Thanks for the insight.