Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet building(tuning/porting/styles)ETC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, May 8, 2002.

1. Well, folks I'm building my first real rig, I've been playing through a borrowed 410 with my Hartke 3500, and I'm looking to build my personal rig up....I'm buying a 1x18, and I want a 2x10 w/ a horn because I play a lotta different stuffs(Punk, Rock, oldies, Surf, Bluesey and Jazzey stuff).I've found that the measurements for my cabinet are 24x21x14....I prefer the style of an eden(diag. placed 10's with the horn in the corner)Because I can pro'lly put it measured about the same(24"tall on the 18" to ~24" wide on the 210{18 placed on it's side})I need info on some building materials(Some said to me 3/4"plywood) and speaker types(eminence?) and the horn type(Carvin or eden) and wiring(where and how)....hmmm OH YEAH Ports(Where, how many, what type)...I'm looking for a boomy tone, warm and loud!!Heard that porting can change stuff like that...and Exactly how do you tune a speaker cabinet??I'm new to building, but I'll have some help, and I want to do it right and save money in the long runn....Experts HELP!!!:confused:

:::EDIT:::H*ll, books?Algebra, no problem, but bOOKS?!Ah it's no biggie, but somone try to explain tuning....pleese

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That's one hell of a question. I would recommend buying a book on Speaker design as I did.

The ones I got werent great, so I cant recommend anything specific, but even with these I was able to build a great cab. (The only problem was that I really had to look for the important information since it was kinda mixed in with the less important stuff. Any book should be ok.)

One warning, If you werent good at algerbra, forget about it.

Peace
    Nick

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I think the cab you are speaking of is the Eden 212 not the 210.

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Try to get in contact with a speaker company, eminence or celestion or whatever. I got in touch with Celestion and corresponded with Dr. Decibel who helped me to design my speaker cabinet to get what I wanted from it. He used a computer program + his knowledge to work out port sizes etc. These people know what they're talking about so if they're willing to help you then go for it. Also books are good.

5. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    This thread is well worth a read.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20561&highlight=101

I got the most out of it by reading through the thread in conjunction with a book - Loudspeakers for Musicians by Vivian Capel. Don't know if its the best book around but I thought it was quite good and inexpensive.

I've found bgavin and Joris contributions on this site really helpful - bgavin's site is well worth a look, especially the drivers page of the s/sheet. I think there's also a cab size /port size calculator.

My worry about contacting speaker manafacturers for advice (as opposed to tech. info) is that you may lose out on the independence of that advice.

6. Well, I'll be dipped in sh*t and rolled in breadcrumbs....I was wrong :( ....I changed my mind mid stream i guess....trying to mix the two, I didn't look at the name, all I saw was XLT and ASSUMED(Uh OH!!) it was 210....Still, Guys thanks for the replys in such a short time and any more are appreciated....Still, I don't get tuning, I know the boxes need to be a certain volume before they'll perform well enough....So, I can handle parts of it, I'll check out the speaker sites laters....Thanx again for replies and keep 'em comin'

7. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    If you really want to know about speaker design I recommend the "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason. Not cheap, but easy to follow, and you will know what you are doing when you do it.