1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet choice acoustic gig ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Normally I roll up with whatever I feel like or what fits the stage best as it doest usually really matter imo even the smallest venues over here generally have good PA support. However this weekend for the first time in many years a gig without DI'd Bass. Pub has a small PA no subs and is not keen on putting the bass through it which I understand. It's a quiet set with 2 acoustic guitars, Chello and drummer playing brushes or stick bundles. 100-200 capacity venue. Essentially not a problem but the bass will have to stand alone and some numbers are tuned very low. Which cab will work best? I only want to take one otherwise it will just look ridiculous in the subtle setting. 1x12, 2x10,1x15 or old school 410?....... Pros / cons?

2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    My choice would be 2x10
    All of the bar gigs I play I use an Ibanez Promethean 3110 with an Overton 110. This give me a 300 watt 2x10 with a small footprint and covers with or without pa support. I play 5 string and it servers me very well
    Good luck
    Duke

Spent and Mark Andrew like this.
  3. I am leaning towards this choice myself also Duke with the HPF on and new drivers I'm hoping it should more than be up to the job. Thanks

Attached Files:

4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Anything but the 410.

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The 2x10 would be good, but in that setting, I think the 1x15 would have a warmer sound and fit with the acoustic instruments better.
    I do similar gigs and use a Fender Rumble 100 and I use a Breedlove Jumbo fretless acoustic.

Mark Andrew likes this.
  6. It is a toss up between these two indeed. I always get the impression the 15 tends to fill the room better (many have said this is rubbish) the sparkle that in my case I don't want on the acoustic is indeed not present in the 15. It will come down to room in the bus I think as allot of props have to be transported also. It will likely be the 210 with most of the treble dialled out I think.

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    210 on it's side. Nice small footprint, and will be perfect. It may help to know what head and exact cabs that you're considering as well.

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Mark :)

Whatever you have! :D

I have been using my ported 115 with tweeter on various occasions the last 15 years for that kind of gigs.

Soundwise I avoid (scoop!) all agressive high mids (you will kill the guitars with that)

I scoop the low mids too but not as extreme and keep the higher freqs flat on the amp

the tone on the (passive) bass is wide open.

The deep basses can be a problem to dial in.

You need them because your ideal sonic space is below everybody else.

To avoid the "big muddy mess" the placement of your cab can help a lot.

I always use a beer crate or two to get the cab off the ground.

I also borrow an adjustable Hpf (high pass filter) for that kind of gig, to controll the deep end.

Like I said, I don' t reduce the highs. they make me more audible on stage.

I use the tweeter of my cab for fine tuning. And I rather stay on the harsh side!

Because in most of the rooms that I play(ed) these freqs get lost once the room is (hopefully) full of fans.

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Mark Andrew likes this.
  9. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Very nice
    Duke

10. I have all of the mentioned speakers available and always use the HPF and soundhole cover to stop Chello feedback via my bass :) maybe I'll leave the highs as they are;) tweeter will be almost of. I run the acoustic Bass direct into the power stage of whatever amp I take and run solely from preamp eq on the bass. In this case Smaller is better so mini max with the Ashdown as Backup.....toying with the idea if an elf combo for this kind of thing in the future.

Wisebass likes this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Give it a try! Especially on your acoustic bass!

I think it gives your sound more life.

The sound settings above I use with my fretless (passive solidbody), so of course yours have to be different. ;)

greetings

Wise

12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Choose the cab you like best, since a) small gig and b) you are the only one here who's heard all the cabs, TB members' clairvoyance notwithstanding.

Any of those cabs will work. :thumbsup:

13. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I keep my Ibanez Promethean 3110 in my car in case I ever need a small amp. By the time I got mine The Overton 110s we’re getting scarce. I didn’t act fast enough and missed out. I’m sure it’s a flexible option.

14. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    The Overton 110 are pretty scarce for sure
    Duke

Spent likes this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Will the cello and guitars have any on-stage monitoring capability. If no, the difficult part may be balancing stage levels while having enough volume to push the room.

I could manage this with a pair of speakers and my GK 2000RB. The 2000RB is a dual mono design and it has master volume controls for each output. So I could put one speaker up front, dialed in to support the house. The second speaker would go in the back at a low volume, so I could hear what I was playing.

I have done something similar to this in a big band when I was running a stereo rig. I preferred to set up in front of the drummer, out near the wing of the band stand. This allowed me to play at a lower volume and hear the entire ensemble. I used an Eden D210XLT stacked on my rolling rack behind me. To kick the band, I put an Eden D410XLT on the floor between the drummer and the trumpet section, and cranked it up as loud as the band director wanted it.

Mark Andrew likes this.
  16. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    Unless the venue holds more than 200 people, a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 10 or 12 will do very well.

17. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    It really depends on what the cabs are and what amp is driving them. One of the super 15’s and an 800 watt head, or a mid-70’s box with a JBL E140 pushed by a 20 watt tube head?

18. Yes I'm sure they will. but 99 % of the gigs I've played it hasn't mattered as good old sound guy would always do his stuff. This won't be an option so general experience of the Bass without PA support is what I'm after with different cab types...:)

19. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Another vote for the 2X10

Mark Andrew likes this.
  20. Class d 500w head either Mini max or an Ashdown straight onto the power amp from pre amp on the Bass. All cabs are old peaveys TX BX /BW but cabs all upgraded with better drivers chosen with help from people here on TB who ran models for the cabs in question. I think the drivers are all in my profile.