1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet choice for outdoor gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Mar 22, 2006.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I have an outdoor gig coming up in May. While I am not going to reveal brand names, I would like some generic advice on making a good choice regarding cabinets. I currently have
    1 - 8-10" (4 ohms)
    2 - 4-10" s (8 ohms each)
    1 - 1-18" (4 ohms)

If you can explain your opinion it would help.
    Thanks

2. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Will there be an adequate PA to run the bass through? If not, if possible, I would get a 4x10 and a 1x18. In my experience, the larger speakers tend to throw low frequencies better in an outdoor situation.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I would run your Carvins (looked at your profile ;) ) all at the same time. How many chances will you have to do that? Even if you don't turn it up loud, all those speakers would be really fun to run, even if just once. Buy a power amp that can do 2 ohms/side, and run one 4x10 on each side plus the 8x10 on one and the 1x18 on the other. Man, that'd be cool. :D

4. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I used a 1x12 and a 1x15 at my last outdoor gig, and was not even turned up halfway. I was told I could be heard clearly a half a mile away!

:bassist:

5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Well what Ohm rating can you run your amp at, that is important. I tend to use my 18 rather then 15s or 10s outside as there are no walls to act as a bass reflector. I would go 1x18 4x10!

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Cabinet choice for outdoor gig...

it's called a PA.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll go ahead and name brands, I'm not scared. :)

Every outdoor gig I ever played I brought my Eden WT-800 and (2) 410XLT's. It was plenty loud enough and sounded killer. It felt so good to stand in front of that stack, no worries of any kind on my end.

-Mike

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Either the 2 410s or the one 8-10. I wouldn't bring out the 18 under any circumstances, but that's just me, because I think 18s sound like doo doo.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'll go with this.

10. I'd think the 8x10 would do it... but if it's a big enough stage and you like to move around I'd have the 8x10 on one side of the drummer and a pair of 4x10s on the other side. Just for fun of course.

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    This is correct.

However, I still say bring it all, or at least all of your 10s, and keep it down a bit. Even at low volume, there is something to being hit by all of that.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

of all the shows i've done, what sounded great indoors, suddenly sounded weak and anemic outside.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 8-10 maximizes the cone area and it gives you at least a few drivers up at ear level.

Use the 8-10 unless you'll be moving around the stage a lot...then use the 4-10s and put one on each side of the stage.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

+1 on bringing all of the 10s...

- georgestrings

15. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Not sure what kind of head you will be powering them with, but I would bring the 8x10 for sure..and just in case, bring both 4x10's and daisy chain them. If your head can go down to 2 ohms you can have 2 8x10's..sweeet:bassist:

16. What kind of music do you play? What kind of stage show does your band have? If your playing more mellow stuff, a single 4x10 might do the job.

...if it were me, I would take the 8x10

17. A pair of Tuba36 and a DR280.

And never be buried.

:D

18. use them all :p

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    If you want to go "massive rig" try and rent or borrow a poweramp from someone.