Cabinet choice opinions..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incubus2432, Apr 15, 2002.

1. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Well, I returned (tearfully) my Acme B-2's today. Even with running close to 1000 watts per cabinet I was still just clipping my amp at band practice. After you guys are finished saying "I told you so" I have a need for more opinions. I've done a search through the archives and haven't found much info.
    I've narrowed down my choices to new cabinets to the following.......
    Mesa Powerhouse 1000 (4x10/1x15/horn). I have a truck and only play out every month or so so the bulk isn't too big of a concern and I had one for a month and loved the sound. I can live with the size BUT it is still big and heavy (downside). Cost $1200.
    Bergantino 2x10 (and horn) and 1X15 (and horn) cabinets. Never heard them but heard nothing but good about them for loud metal music. Also easily portable. Cost $1475 for the pair.
    Epifani (same setup and price of the Bergantinos) never heard anything about their use for my style of music.
    Bag End.......seem to be priced cheaper and opinions of the S15-D are excellent but the 2x10 doesn't sound too hot from the reviews I've found. I like to have matching cabinets (I'm a freak:D) so a mixed pair is a no-no for me.
    I would happily get a Mesa 2x10 and 1x15 but for whatever reason they just about refuse to build any 2x10's so that option is out.
    If I am going with 2 small cabinets (my preference)..........Eden and Aguilar get left out because their 1x15 cabinets are a tad large as compared to the others listed above. If I'm gonna break my back, I might as well get paralyzed for sure by buying the Powerhouse 1000. Either I have one hard trip from the truck or two easy ones:D (AND I don't care much for the Eden mid/low emphasis anyway)
    I play in a loud metal band, use Rics (one strung with the low B side of a 5 string) and am a finger player (if any of that matters to your opinions).
    Would like a pretty neutral sound (my Rics and SVP-Pro give me all of the color that I want) with good reproduction of the low close to an Acme as possible with volume I guess........
  2. If you want the Mesa Powerhouse, there's an Ampeg cab like it too. I have no idea what it sounds like, though.
  3. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I am by no means anti Ampeg. The cabinet that you are referring to is (I think) the 1540HE which is a nice cabinet but it is the size of an 8x10. The Powerhouse is the exact size of a 6x10 so it is a little lighter. Plus I think the Mesa looks cooler than the Ampeg. I also used to own one of those PR-1832HE cabinets (1x18/2x10/2x6.5/horn) which also sounded great but weighed about 210 pounds........that's a little much after closing time to be lifting up the stairs when the wifey is trying to sleep:eek: Thanks
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the aggie 2x12 has tighter low end than a 15 imo. search fro the music man 2 x12 on the site and i think you might have a new avenue to look down.

gone are the days of tens i think......then why do i still have a 4x10.... oh yeah I"M BROKE
  5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Unless I misread your post...Mesa makes 2x10 cabs
  6. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    They may make them BUT I have found it impossible to get a new one. I spoke with a sales rep on the phone and was told they have orders for about 80 but they will only be making 55 (about) and they don't set up to make the 2x10's too often. No dealers that I have called have seen one and have said they have been on backorder for "over a year". So odds of me getting one are quite slim. Anybody have one or know where I can get my mitts on one....please let me know.
    I'll even pay a reward:eek:
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    incubus, you say you wanna go with two small cabs--but have you considered that that may be a bottleneck for your volume needs? Sure, almost any high-quality 2-10 out there is gonna be more efficient than the Acmes (Lord love 'em), but speaker cone area does impose some limits on "bigness" of sound. I mean, just as an extreme example, you could put 1000 watts into an 8", and I don't care who makes it, it's not gonna cut the mustard in a metal band. Two 10s can only do so much.

I think you'll benefit a lot from just biting the bullet and using bigger cabs. In fact, I bet if you'd been using two B-4s instead of two B-2s, your clipping problems might have been reduced or maybe even eliminated. Each B-4 is 3 dB more efficient than a B-2, which should mean a 6 dB gain with two of them. For comparison, going from 500 W to 1000 is only a 3 dB gain.

How about two Eden D410XSTs? They're supposed to be more neutral than the XLTs. Or two Aguilar 4-10s? Or perhaps more intriguingly, some of the Accugroove stuff?

chucko58 has tried this stuff, and he says it's very happening. VERY pricey, though.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    IMHO you can only get so loud with 2/10 cabs! If you can try out some of the 2/12 cabs out there, you might be surprised! But if your only moving your cab once a month, maybe that Mesa is for you.
  9. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Hmmmmm.......interesting posts.
    I've thought about the 2x12 cabinets and while I like the's not what I had in mind cost/size wise. Two of the 2x12's I was looking at would run me almost $2K. And 2x12's are a little bigger than my definition of small. Also (in my mind :confused: 2x12 cabinets blend the best attributes of 10's AND 15's so why not get the individual speakers and let them do what they do best instead of going "middle of the road"). Not saying anything bad about 2x12''s just the way I look at them.
    Anyway, I got off of the point........the reasons I posted the selection of cabinets that I did is because they seem like the best options to me, for me. If I am going to go with two 4x10's less work to move one Mesa Powerhouse 1000. The 2x10 and 1x15 cabinets were picked because they would be super easy to move and on a real silly note...they fit under the tonneau cover of my Dakota without unsnapping it and rolling it up. The 2x12, 4x10 and 1x18 are all great I'm sure but I am trying to balance out cost, hassle and tone.
    I would love an Accugroove but while I do OK money wise (I'm a policeman and have frequent opportunities for extra $$$$$ at security gigs) I can't justify that kind of outlay for something that is basically a part time hobby. My max is about $1500. I also support a 67 Cougar and a pair of Sea Doo GTX's so I have to spread around my toy $$$$$ plus I have a Ric 4004LK on order which leaves me only so much for speaker cabinets. (I know....poor me!)
    I guess I just figured a 2x10 and 1x15 would be good enough for volume (my single 4x10 is more than adequate volume's the tone that is crap :mad: ).
    Anyway thanks for making me think........I'll make up my mind in the next few days.....maybe!
  10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    What 4x10 do you currently have?
  11. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I've been "rotating" gear lately but the cabinet I actually own is an EV 4x10 from the early '90s. It sounded great when I bought it....I is either just beat now or maybe it never sounded good and now I have different tastes ?!?!
    I used to have an EV 1x15 to go with it but I gave that away long ago.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMO, I think the Berg's might be too pretty sounding. They've got amazing articulation and inherent tone that i personally love (i own a 1x12 for funk/jazz stuff), but for some guys, it might not be aggressive sounding enough.

Epifani's could be aggressive enough at the high enough volume, but they might be a little too open airy, and hifi. besides, they're pretty expensive considering your other "needs". :D there could be better deals.

For rock, i personally love Aguilar. Good low mid push with a wee touch of hifi for slice into the mix all at a great price. Like Stingray, i think a good 2x12 (70 lbs.), could easily help ya out. or you could try a pair of 1x12's (40 lbs. each) for ultimate portability. but honestly, i dunno if it would cut it in a metal mix. low end might not be as focused as in a single enclosed 2x12 cab.

in the end, if you're willing to pay for lots of shipping have a set of cabs sent out to you to try. Or if you're really freaky, buy a plane ticket to Florida or Seattle. :D :D :D
  13. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I agree on the Bergs. I just played through a 15 and a 210 in a reh. room. They sound great for jazz, funk, r&B, rock. They also need power although certainly not as much as the Acmes (I just sold my B-2). I would say the Mesas. Two weeks ago I played through a Mesa 15 at another reh. space and was really impressed with the sound. I certainly don't mean to dictate on what you want to hear out of your cab because hands down you know more than I; but EA, Bergantino, Epifani, Acme etc are really designed for a certain sound that in my opinion becomes lost at real loud volume. If you are doing a lot of playing in different styles then by all means go for the Bergs because I feel they have a bit of grittiness and balls to them, but if you are really just playing in the heavy metal genre go for the equipment that sounds really good in that style and can cut through. Good luck
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Yea abaguer,

i love Bergantino cabs! for all the crazy work i do, it fits whatever bill. but they were pricey. i coulda gotten a pair of GS112's from the same dealer i bought my single Berg HT112, but tonally, its soo dear and precious to me, i wouldnt change my decision.

IMHO, in a metal setting, all that luscious tone wouldnt really matter. You just sorta need somethin' to cut thru the crap. ;) besides, i was thinking Incubus would want something with more grunt like the Aguilar's or Eden's even for that quintessential rock feel.
  15. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Figures........I got an offer I may not be able to refuse on an "almost new" Ampeg PR-1832HE:eek: So much for "compact" or "not too heavy".......I think they are about 170 pounds :mad: . But they do sound excellent and PA-like and LOUD. I did want to go small but replies have been negative for my type of music. I am still confident that a 2x10 and 1x15 would hold up volume wise but for the price I can get the Ampeg for, I can't seem to talk myself into passing it up.
    If the Ampeg deal falls through I'll probably just go with the Mesa Powerhouse 1000.
    Thanks for the opinions........
  16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If the Ampeg is that good a deal then buy it then sell it, make a little green then continue your search for something smaller