Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, May 20, 2001.

1. I need to add another cab to my 2x10 because my band is getting bigger gigs. I have narrowed it down to either a 1x15 or a 1x18. Would the 18 sound muddy with my PJ and flats? I haven't tried one since there are non available in winnipeg and they have to be specially ordered.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Something with a Bag End driver (Bag End or SWR's 18s) will be punchy as hell, and won't get muddy unless you set the EQ to mud. Plus, its portable as hell.

3. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I think your choice should depend more on your playing style! If you slap and tap I'd think you'd want another 2 10 cab but if your more rock n blues style then might consider another 2 10 cab ;)

IMHO, 15's and 18's sound great on stage but have a tendency to be overwhelming the further away you are. (keep in mind this is more true for the 18)

The big problem is, you can't tell on stage what it's sounding like in the back row, unless you have a sound man telling you to turn it down!

If you insist one or the other, go with the 15. Better response through the bass range without getting flubby. Once again, before I'm shot at, IMHO!

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    15 is probably your best bet.An 18 is good also but are best suited to larger rooms as they "throw" the sound for the folks farther away.Bag End cabs would be excellent either way.Chuck Levins washington music has them at very good prices.Good luck!

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Having played with various cab combinations in the past, I'd recommend the 15 for you.

I personally use to Eden 2-10 cabs for funk, r & b, and motown / top 40.