Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Combinations and Ohms, how would it sound...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovejam, Jun 6, 2005.

1. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Sorry for yet another ohm related thread but please help. :rollno:

If I connected a 4ohm can and an 8 ohm cab to different outputs on the same head, the cab would run at 6ohms putting out the wattage of its 4ohm rating? Or would it be 2ohms running at the amps 2 ohm wattage

Then, if I where to connect a 4ohm 15 and an 8ohm 12 to the same head the 15 gets twice the wattage of the 12 right?
    How would this sound? (Avatar b115h and Aguilar gs112)

Thanks

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well reading the ohms faq linked in the faq sticky mighta helped......... ;)

anyhow, you'll be running the cabs in parallel that way (as you would if you "daisy chained" them together. your total load will be 2.67 Ohms, so make sure your head can handle a 2 ohm load 1st.

yes, the 4 ohm cab will draw 2x the power. w/o knowing the sensitivity and voicing of the cabs from avatar i really cant say how it'll sound. but i'm sure dave at avatar could give you more info in terms of that being a good match or not. It could work, or the 15 could bury the 12.